Class of 2021 Outcomes: Rachel Lynch Decides on Deloitte

Aug 06th, 2021

WSVQ3412

With another Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Rachel Lynch

Hometown: Voorhees, New Jersey

Major: Accounting with a minor in finance

Post-graduation plans: Lynch joins Deloitte as a risk and financial advisory analyst in New York City. She will be helping clients identify, remediate, monitor and manage enterprise risk, perform internal audit and assurance activities, consult with engagement leadership on strategic plans and other business matters, and anticipate emerging risks. Lynch will also assist clients to improve their information technology controls or technology risk management programs, and advise clients on strategic decisions through the use of financial modeling, financial analysis and valuation.

How HPU helped you get there: “I truly don’t recognize the version of me who drove through the gates freshman year on move-in. High Point University offers such a foundation for driven individuals to indulge in all that HPU has to offer to grow exponentially. Each week I think about how much I have changed. The time between Monday morning and Friday night each week I still continue to grow as a person. This school has provided me so many opportunities I can hardly even fathom who I would be without each. Above all, all of the opportunities have helped me with self-confidence. HPU helped me shift my perspective to have an internal focus on becoming the best possible version of myself with a growth mindset, solid principles, and adaptable values to be equipped for life after HPU. Beyond that, HPU has instilled in me to prioritize gratitude and understanding that it does take a community to achieve your goals. It is so important to thank those who have gotten you to where you wanted to go. HPU has pushed me to become the change agent I continue to be for our world and for that I am forever grateful. To this day, I remember walking from University Center 2 to Cottrell with my roommate freshman year to the Office of Career and Professional Development. We noticed flyers about the HPU in the City Program the Office of CPD was offering and even though we were on week 2 of our freshman year we were determined to be selected. With help from Peer Career Advisors on our resumes and cover letters, we submitted our applications. Within a couple of weeks, we found out we were both selected for our city of choice. I was going to NYC and she was headed to D.C. during fall break. That trip introduced me to the hustle and bustle of NYC professional life with office tours of Google, Bloomberg, Ralph Lauren, the United Nations and Tumi. I already had a dream of potentially working and living in NYC post-graduation, but that trip solidified that goal. The connections I leveraged through networking during that trip are still some of my best mentors of mine and the friends I made from HPU are still some of my best friends. This is just one example of many of the how the Office of Career & Professional development goes above and beyond to prepare you for a career you’ll love.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “There are countless people at HPU I am so lucky to call my mentors. By far the most impactful was the Accounting Department. Mentors will always be there to cheer on your successes, but a true mentor will be able to help you navigate seasons of doubt and frustration that come with the challenges of being an accounting student. My accounting professors were always there on my good days and bad days to re-ignite my determination and pursuit of my goals. I am so grateful for the cheers in the offices of Wilson School of Commerce when I had news of internship offers or job offers and the longs chats when I needed advice.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment was being named a finalist of the Inaugural Elizabeth Miller Strickland Trailblazer Award. It is still difficult to put into words what this honor means to me. Nonetheless, it has reminded me that my impact at HPU has not gone unnoticed, and hope this is just the start of fueling young women to pursue their full potential.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Nowadays, a lot of advice stems from learning to say no in order to not spread yourself too thin. I’d advise that, yes, that is a lesson to be learned, but only after spending time saying yes to the opportunities in front of you. I would not be where I am today without saying yes to all the opportunities that I faced during my early years at HPU.”