Internship Profile: Christopher Goggin Gains Experience in Orlando

Aug 16th, 2021

Goggin Uline photo 3

READ MORE INTERNSHIP PROFILES

Name: Christopher Goggin

Hometown: Winter Park, Florida

Major: Sales with a minor in finance

Internship: Goggin joined Uline as an outside sales representative in Orlando, Florida. His position was a structured corporate outside sales internship which included metrics and deliverables. He met with current customers to identify potential new needs, performed cold calling, scheduled calls each week and was expected to complete 40 cold calls over the 12-week internship.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU’s sophomore boot camp prepared me with the tools needed to apply for summer internships. Having applied to Uline through their online application, I worked closely with my sales professors as I went through each phase of the interview process. Having landed the internship over winter break, I spent my spring semester working to be thoroughly prepared to meet the challenges of this Uline sales position. I gained added experience with my spring negotiations class and worked with multiple sales professors to arrive at my job ready for action. After arriving at my job, I asked my manager what stood out to them that led to my job offer, and he said they were intrigued by my major. He found that my interview skills allowed them to see my ability to be articulate, to sell and to negotiate. HPU provided the education and skills that prepared me thoroughly for the interview process. Starting with my business boot camp, I prepared for interviews by practicing through informational interviews. I had my free, professional headshot taken to prepare my Linkedin profile. I utilized HPU’s job board to search for jobs, and I also used the six tips to maximize my internship experience that was shared by the university. From start to finish, I was prepared and was a valued member of the Uline Orlando Sales force. ”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Michaels from the Sales department. Professor Michaels took time out of his winter break to help me prepare for each step of the interview process. He also provided an educational reference for my job. His mentorship was pivotal in preparing me for not only the interview process but also the job itself. I am grateful for his guidance and look forward to returning to campus to discuss my experience on the job.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “I was incredibly fortunate to participate in a structured sales program. After three weeks of training, I spent nine more weeks researching the customer’s industry, scheduling calls, preparing samples and meeting with customers. I found I could communicate clearly and find common ground which in turn increased my sales volume. I developed real sales techniques, from overcoming objections to exploring potential new opportunities with existing Uline customers. I learned that I am competitive and will work diligently to achieve all sales goals. My experience at Uline has prepared me to be a valuable member of any sales team. ”