Class of 2021 Outcomes: Mikaela Seemann Sees a Future in Science

Sep 17th, 2021

IMG 8201

With another Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Mikaela Seemann

Hometown: Marietta, Georgia

Major: Biochemistry and French

Post-graduation plans: Seemann will be attending the University of Wisconsin Madison to pursue a doctorate in biochemistry.

How HPU helped you get there: “The mentorship from faculty in the chemistry and biology department helped me earn scholarships and internship opportunities that then made me a competitive candidate for PhD programs. I am especially thankful for the mentorship from Dr. Meghan Blackledge, Dr. Jackson Sparks, Dr. Angela Bauer, Dr. Benoit Leclercq, Dr. Denis Depinoy, and Dr. Kellie McLeod, among many. Additionally, Dr. Kellie McLeod in the Office of Career and Professional Development helped me polish up my resume which helped me stand out for internship and graduate school applications.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Meghan Blackledge was my research advisor. She was a mentor beyond just teaching in the research lab to help me achieve my academic and professional goals. Starting early in my undergraduate career, she pushed me beyond my comfort zone to present at local and national conferences and to apply for scholarships such as the national Goldwater Scholarship (which I was later awarded). Dr. Jackson Sparks was my genetics professor and has been a go-to person for both professional advice and just talking about life. Both Drs. Meghan Blackledge and Jackson Sparks were an amazing support system during my undergraduate career, and I accomplished what I did with the help of their mentorship. Dr. Benoît Leclercq and Dr. Denis Dépinoy were my French professors and key mentors in pursuing my French degree and in my overall professional development. They helped me balance my science-intensive load while developing my foreign language skills. Even though they are not in the sciences, Benoît and Denis supported me throughout my scientific career and checked in regularly during my graduate school application process. It was valuable having a different perspective as I transitioned to the next chapter post-graduation. I appreciate the support from these mentors, and those not listed here, which has led to where I am today.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “I really enjoyed when the Caine Conservatory building was officially opened. It was a great outlet to relax and find peace during a busy day.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Apply to everything, and get help doing it. Use your resources at HPU to polish up your application and then apply to as many opportunities that interest you even if you think you don’t have a chance. You never know until you try.”