Class of 2021 Outcomes: Valeria Maya Migrates to Medix

Sep 12th, 2021

1559847508336
Valeria Maya
Boston, Massachusetts
Strategic Communication
Medix

With another Commencement quickly approaching, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary member from the Class of 2021:

Name: Valeria Maya

Hometown: Boston, Massachusetts

Major: Strategic communication with minors in sales and social media marketing

Post-graduation plans: Maya joins Medix as a healthcare recruiter in New York City. In her role, she is specifically focused on care management and working with leading healthcare organizations to fill different needs.

How HPU helped you get there: “Along with this position, I am currently continuing my education at High Point University and pursuing a Master’s degree in Communication and Business Leadership, while working full-time. HPU has taught me valuable lessons ranging from technology, to communication and writing, but above all HPU has shaped me into a professional, driven individual. At HPU there is no dream too big, and this motto has impacted me in unimaginable ways. I would say the most important thing HPU has given me in terms of professional development is good networking skills and the ability to communicative effectively and persuasively. The Office of Career & Professional Development has helped me create and update my resume, and offer me valuable information regarding searching/landing different positions and excelling in professional interviews. ”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professors Larry Quinn in the Sales and Marketing Department and James Scott in the Nido R. Qubein School of Communication. I will carry the insights these two professors gave me forever! ”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Beyond the mentorship I received from many different professors at HPU, I still find myself missing sitting in Hayworth listening to Nido’s president seminar. All the lessons and stories from that class still impact and resonate with me today. ”

Advice for underclassmen: “Pay attention during the President’s Seminar on Life Skills. The lessons from that class are invaluable. Moreover, take advantage of the smaller classes and get to know your professors; establishing a connection with them will be worthwhile. Last but not least, go to the different seminars and guest speakers, they are so helpful and they are an opportunity most other college students do not have! ”