Internship Profile: Gillian Fajack Interns with Gallagher

Sep 19th, 2021

IMG 1590

READ MORE INTERNSHIP PROFILES

Name: Gillian Fajack

Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio

Major: Marketing with minors in photography and finance

Internship: As a GBS sales intern, Fajack shadowed a variety of employees at Gallagher Insurance Brokerage Company. At the end of the summer, she then competed on a team to display her knowledge of the health insurance brokerage business with another High Point University student and we won first place in the South East region.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU sales courses I have taken as a part of my Marketing degree prepared me to understand the layout of a sales presentation. Also, the development of my curiosity and soft skills allowed me to ask thoughtful questions and communicate well which allowed me to be invited back for another year of interning. I used the Office of Career & Professional Development every year updating my resume, finding internships, learning how to network, creating a LinkedIn, and reviewing cover letters. I now work in Career and Professional Development as a Peer Advisor in hopes of assisting my peers gain internships and jobs.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentors at HPU have been Troy Knauss and Kathy Elliot. These two professors have worked with me all four years and have continually pushed me to be the best entrepreneur and person that I can be. In my senior year, David Riser has been an incredible mentor giving me tips and insight on how to be a leader in life as well as in the workplace and provided many other insights on the real world.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship allowed me to practice what I have been learning in the classroom into a real job. This experience made me comfortable presenting in large groups and taught me that people want to work with people they like. It also has made me realize I want my employer to value ethics and volunteer similar to what I did at Gallagher. ”