Class of 2021 Outcomes: Mikayla Call Continues Her Accounting Career

Nov 16th, 2021

With another Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary member of the Class of 2021:

Name: Mikayla Call

Hometown: Proctorsville, Vermont

Major: Accounting

Post-graduation plans: Call joins Edelstein and Company LLP as a healthcare associate in Boston, Massachusetts. Her responsibilities include preparing individual and corporate tax returns for clients in healthcare.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU challenged me to be the best version of myself in all aspects. Through those challenges I discovered my tenacity. HPU also gave me a great support system and the confidence to strive for the best. The Office of Career & Professional Development helped me develop a strong resume. I was lucky enough to work with them throughout my internship for credit and it was a great experience. Without the help of CPD I would not have the skillset I do.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Sundaram was my advisor and pushed me to challenge myself. Without her, I would have never graduated with all the credits I needed to take my CPA exam. She also encouraged me to take opportunities I wouldn’t normally consider. Without her support and encouragement to go out of my comfort zone, I would not have the job I have now. She is also an inspiration to women in the accounting field. It was very impactful to see a female with such a successful career in a male dominated field.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU would my final presentation in my accounting research course. Presentations have always been a fear of mine, but the preparation and collaboration with my peers gave me confidence to face the presentation head-on. In that moment, I felt no fear of public speaking.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Utilize your professors. I have never been one to ask for help, but I would not be where I am today if I had not reached out to my professors for help and advice when I needed it.”