Class of 2022 Outcomes: Alon Parker Uses Leadership Experience to Land a Job at Amazon

Jan 10th, 2022

210503-Alon-Parker.jpg
Alon Parker
Concord, North Carolina
Sales
Amazon Web Services

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2022:

Name: Alon Parker

Hometown: Concord, North Carolina

Major: Sales

Post-graduation plans: Parker will be joining Amazon Web Services Sales Team as a demand generation representative. to assist companies in their transition to cloud technology on AWS. His responsibilities will include the use of targeted campaigns to identify new customer opportunities, understand customer business issues and demonstrate how these issues can be solved through the benefits of AWS services. He will coordinate action steps with the broader sales team to ensure there is a path for newly identified customers to implement cloud technology solutions.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University provided a variety of hands-on experiences and learning opportunities that prepared me for leadership roles on campus, which led to a summer internship with AWS. I became a change agent, acted as a servant leader and learned to advocate for others through my experiences as vice president of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for the Student Government Association, event coordinator for the Office of Multicultural Affairs, and as a diversity mentor. As a member of the business fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi and a Senior Leadership Cabinet Member, I sharpened my professional etiquette and improved my communication effectiveness. Also as president of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. and president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, I focused on decision quality and collaboration while driving for excellence and creating a legacy. From day one on campus, I used the Office of Career and Professional Development weekly. Dr. Hall assisted me with my resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile to ensure I had a competitive advantage. Also, he supported me with mock interviews and helped me search for internship opportunities. Thanks to High Point University for preparing me to become an effective leader. I am confident and ready to accomplish my career goals with AWS.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor and greatest supporter on campus is Mr. Robert Tillman. He is my advisor for the Pi Theta Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. and also a father figure to me. Mr. Tillman listened, gave great guidance, and taught me how to network with professionals. He stressed the importance of hard work and why I should give 110% to anything that I pursue while holding me accountable when he believed I could do better. He constantly models professionalism and is passionate about his role on campus. I am thankful for his guidance as he challenged me to be the best person that I could possibly be as a student and future professional. Mr. Tillman helped me excel at High Point University and I’m grateful. I look forward to the day when I can pay it forward and mentor others in my future.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was being a part of the National Pan-Hellenic Council when we received approval on our proposal to establish plots on campus for our fraternities and sororities. We, in NPHC, worked diligently to demonstrate the importance of the plots, why they were a necessity for the council, and why the dedicated space would benefit our HPU community. Once approved by the administration, the ground breaking ceremony was conducted and I realized that anything is possible with hard work and persistence. This accomplishment proved that I can collaborate with others and implement positive changes. Hard work really does pay off and opportunities to make a difference are limitless. I am proud to be a part of the HPU community which encourages students to utilize their entrepreneurial spirit and growth mindset to act as change agents. Thank you HPU!”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t wait. Jump right in. You can be a leader on campus as a freshman or sophomore. If you work hard and are driven to make an impact on campus, find an organization or club where you can engage and get involved. You will learn so much from your experiences that will help you succeed after graduation. Make sure that you don’t shy away from uncomfortable situations because these circumstances will help you grow. Also, take advantage of the of the Office of Career and Professional Development and start working on your resume, cover letter, mock interviews and networking opportunities as soon as you can. The more you practice and set yourself apart, the better positioned you will be when graduation comes. Lastly, always be yourself and don’t change who you are to fit in. You are you for a reason and that is what makes you unique. If you remain true to yourself, stay focused, get out of your comfort zone, network and seek leadership roles, I promise that you will be right where you want to be upon graduation.”