Class of 2022 Outcomes: Hannah Brubaker Takes Charge at Volvo Cars

Jun 24th, 2022

071D0E26-C011-41EE-B03D-1DD545B61C6C.jpeg
Hannah Brubaker 
Columbia, South Carolina
Strategic Communication
Volvo Cars

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2022:

Name: Hannah Brubaker

Hometown: Columbia, South Carolina

Major: Strategic communication with a minor in social media marketing

Post-graduation plans: Brubaker joins Volvo Cars in Charleston, South Carolina. In this corporate communications role, she will be in charge of interns, leading marketing campaigns, and curating Facebook posts and a newsletter for employees.

How HPU helped you get there: “Being a Communication Fellow at HPU helped me so much. Dr. Matthew Ritter’s public relations class prepared me for my career — I used projects I completed in class in my portfolio, which helped me land my job! The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me create my resume that helped me land previous internships, along with this job!”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor was Dr. Matthew Ritter, assistant professor and director of the Communication Fellows Program. His class helped me grow as a person and realize the career path I want to take. He values students’ work and was always there to offer me advice. He was a great leader and offered new, exciting additions to the program!”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was during Dr. Brandon Lenoir’s practicum! We curated a bill and designed a complete campaign to lobby North Carolina senators. It was an incredible experience I will never forget. We were interviewed by Fox 8 News and got to share our story! It was the result of months of work, and it felt very rewarding in the end.”

How has HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to your success? “HPU’s modern and inspiring environment made me strive for those same aspects in my career. It’s why I choose to apply to and want to work for modern and future-oriented companies.”

What are the values and virtues HPU’s campus helped you develop that you’ll take with you after graduation? “Professionalism and determination. 1924 PRIME and Alo taught me professionalism by requiring me to dress for success and teaching me how to present myself during a business dinner. I developed determination by pushing through struggles even when it’s hard! From my experiences with class projects, I learned to not take constructive criticism to heart — but to learn from it.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Network, network, network! Whether it be at Family Weekend or a basketball game, network with the people around you. I gained so much knowledge and experience from conversations with parents during Family Weekend and other people I sat next to at HPU events. There are so many amazing people a part of the HPU community — take advantage of these connections!”