Class of 2022 Outcomes: Kelly Lomax Advances in All Areas of Interior Design

Jun 10th, 2022

kelly-lomax-e1654863368535.jpeg
Kelly Lomax
 Greensboro, North Carolina
Interior Design
SOURCC

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2022:

Name: Kelly Lomax

Hometown: Greensboro, North Carolina

Major: Interior design with a minor in Spanish

Post-graduation plans: Lomax joins SOURCC, a multi-line showroom and design center, in High Point, North Carolina, as an account manager and showroom assistant. In this role, she works with interior designers in a mix of customer service, sales and marketing. She also assists with local outreach, digital marketing and showroom design layout.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU provided me with the resources I needed to be successful in the next steps of my career. While getting a great education, I also had real-world professional experiences, like working the High Point Furniture Market.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Ms. Cathy Nowicki, my senior capstone professor. She was always there to give me advice, reassurance and encouragement. She took the time to get to know each student on a personal level, which was important when things got stressful. She encouraged me to think outside the box, be creative and express my ideas freely. I appreciate the knowledge she shared from working in the design industry and how much she truly cared about students’ success. She made my last semester at HPU my most memorable.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “As an interior design major, seeing my work come to life was extremely rewarding. Presenting my capstone project was impactful to me because I received real-world feedback from professional designers in the industry that gave me the boost of confidence I needed to move forward in my design career.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Build a strong foundation. It’s important to start strong as a freshman. Make good grades, surround yourself with people who want to see you succeed and explore every opportunity presented to you. Each semester will get more challenging, but if you have a strong foundation, you will never feel like a task is impossible. Your hard work will pay off in the end, and you will look back and be proud of what you accomplished. Also, take time to enjoy the little things, because looking back now, those are the things I cherish the most!”