Class of 2022 Outcomes: Nia Rainer Is on a Roll

Nia Rainer Portrait
Nia Rainer
Queens, New York
International Business
RollWorks

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary graduate from the Class of 2022:

Name: Nia Rainer

Hometown: Queens, New York

Major: International business with a minor in Spanish

Post-graduation plans: Rainer joins RollWorks, a division of marketing technology company NextRoll, as a sales development representative. She represents the RollWorks Business Unit, helping ambitious B2B companies identify their target accounts and key buyers, then reach those accounts across multiple channels and measure program effectiveness. In her role, Rainer reaches out daily to B2B organizations that would be a great fit for RollWorks account-based marketing software.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU taught me that everyone is in sales. In my freshman year, I worked closely with Professor Larry Quinn to build my selling skills and was a finalist at the Phillips School of Business Selling Club Sales Competition. I learned to be persistent, be overly-prepared and always have a vision because it allows you to have clarity on what you want. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me develop a growth mindset, find internship opportunities and perfect my resume and cover letters. After spending lots of time there, I learned to market my resume as a business owner would advertise to their potential clients. The change in mindset from hoping to get hired to having an entrepreneurial spirit in my work provided me a multitude of opportunities that aligned with my core values.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Doug Hall, vice president of the Office of Career and Professional Development, was my most impactful mentor. He encouraged me to strive for success and to go after the opportunities I wanted. If I didn’t meet the qualifications, we found a way to position myself for the role — whether it be by utilizing my leadership positions on campus, joining a sales boot camp or getting certified in Microsoft Excel. As a first-generation college student, he was my career advisor and college mentor. He always told me to never give up on my goals despite the challenges I may face.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Being a member of the founding intake class of the Alpha Zeta Chapter of Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad/Lambda Pi Chi Sorority, Inc. was a great opportunity. I learned leadership skills as vice president and created awareness and inclusion efforts for the Latino community at HPU and in the High Point area. In that position, I helped create our first-generation scholarship fund, to raise money to help local high school seniors become the first in their families to attend college. This moment holds a special place in my heart because I learned sales skills while helping a cause I’m passionate about as a first-generation college student.”

How has HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to your success? “Breaking into SaaS sales is a dream for many people interested in sales, and HPU’s inspiring environment with caring people made me believe I could work in tech.”

What are the life skills HPU helped you develop that prepared you for long-term success? “HPU helped me develop a growth mindset. In my role, it is very important for me to be persistent with outreach, even when I get a rejection. Each day, I come to NextRoll/RollWorks with a positive attitude because I know that I am making a difference in the marketing technology community.”

What are the values and virtues HPU’s campus helped you develop that you’ll take with you after graduation? “HPU President Nido Qubein told my class, ‘It’s okay to be disappointed, but never be discouraged.’ This is important for me and my sales team, currently. You have to learn to fail fast so amazing opportunities and accomplishments can come your way. This advice allowed me to overcome the learning challenges we faced at the start of the pandemic, lead several organizations, become an HPU Extraordinary Leader and publish my book, ‘Rise – How to Overcome Challenges in Order to Live the Life You Want.'”

Advice for underclassmen: “Ask for help because people feel valued when they can help others. Even if you may not get everything that you ask for, people can connect you with someone that can eventually help you.”