Internship Profile: Destiny Plaskett Innovates for Esports

Jun 03rd, 2022

READ MORE INTERNSHIP PROFILES

Name: Destiny Plaskett

Hometown: Mcleansville, North Carolina

Major: Game design

Internship: Plaskett interned with Triangle Esports Academy in Cary, North Carolina. In her role as an esports innovation and enhancement director, she managed events and reached out to high schools, colleges and established esports organizations that may be interested in hosting events at Triangle Esports Academy’s venue.

How HPU helped you get there: “If it wasn’t for HPU’s Game Design Program, I would not be prepared to deal with the emerging industries in game design and esports, which have brought my competitive spirit to the forefront. HPU’s emphasis on a growth mindset resonated with me and is what I keep in mind to achieve my goals. I attended multiple seminars hosted by the Office of Career and Professional Development and met with my Success Coach Robert Tillman, Doug Hall, vice president of Career and Professional Development and Professor Kathryn Elliot to discuss my future.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “La-Nita Williams, circulation librarian, was my most impactful mentor while working in HPU’s libraries. Not only is she kind, understanding and was open to teaching me, but I felt comfortable going to her for casual conversation.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Not only was it a sensational, surreal and a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but it inspired and motivated me to further my passion for esports, in addition to game design, and shake up the industry with innovative ideas.”