Internship Profile: Riley Manion Narrows in on NBC

Jun 27th, 2022

Read More Internship Profiles  

Name: Riley Manion

Hometown: New Egypt, New Jersey

Major: Journalism

Internship: Manion works on the Booking Team for NBC News and the “TODAY” show, collaborating to book guests for a variety of topics including entertainment and breaking news. In his role as a booking intern for NBCUniversal, he has to stay up-to-date on the goings-on in the entertainment industry and pitch the most popular celebrities to be featured on the “TODAY” show. Manion’s internship started in January 2022 as a semester-long position and has been extended through the summer. He will continue working with NBC’s Booking Team, now in-studio in New York City.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me in so many different ways, especially with mentorship. Coming into college, I gained incredible mentors right away, and I have relied on them throughout my entire college career. Things I’ve learned in the classroom are helpful, but what I’ve learned outside of it has taught me even more. My mentors have pushed me not to give up, to never say no and to believe in myself. If it weren’t for those people, I wouldn’t be where I am today. Since my freshman year, I have visited the Office of Career and Professional Development for help with my resume and cover letter. The knowledge I gained from my career advisors helped me to present myself as polished and experienced.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Mitch Rismiller, a Class of 2019 HPU alumnus. During my first semester at HPU, I attended a Nido R. Qubein School of Communication meet-and-greet and told other students and professors what my career aspirations were. They all said, “You’re the next Mitch.” One of them gave me Mitch’s contact information to reach out to. From there, Mitch took me under his wing — taking the time to meet with me and give me advice. We’ve stayed in contact and continue to talk to this day. He gave me advice on how to prepare for this internship interview, and his guidance and mentorship has helped me grow so much in my professional career.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship has been life-changing. I’ve learned so much since I started the internship with NBC in January and continue to grow. The people at NBC have been so welcoming and made this an unforgettable experience. As a journalism major, I have learned that there is so much more to journalism than being on camera and how every career, specifically booking, helps bring a show together. This opportunity has given me so much real-world experience.”