Internship Profile: Ava Taylor Seeks Scientific Solutions

Jul 15th, 2022

Read More Internship Profiles  

Name: Ava Taylor 

Hometown: Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Major: Biology with minors in mathematics and physics

Internship: This summer, Taylor joins East Carolina University in their Research Experience for Undergraduates Program in Biomedical Engineering as a research intern. In this position, she seeks solutions to scientific questions that are not yet answered. She specifically works on the imaging, modeling and simulations of neural mapping systems.

How HPU helped you get there: “My professors at HPU know my goals and have supported me since the beginning. If it weren’t for the caring mentors that I’ve been surrounded by on HPU’s campus, I would not be where I am today. The Office of Career and Professional Development guided me through building my resume and LinkedIn profile as a freshman, helped me every step along the way with this internship application and held a mock interview to assist in my preparation when I was given short notice about my formal interview. Their office has been a game-changer for me at HPU — I would not be the professional young woman that I am without them.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Nathan Hedman has been my most impactful mentor at HPU. He is the director of the Honors Program and a professor of theater and English. He is so inspiring to be around — he fosters an uplifting environment in every room he walks into, faces everything with a caring attitude, effectively balances a plate filled with responsibility and is an adult on campus I can always rely on. Dr. Hedman is a textbook example of the wonderful faculty and mentors at HPU.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?:My internship has given me great experience in regard to ‘real-world’ job expectations. I have opportunities to go above and beyond by putting in work outside of my regular internship hours, participating in (and often leading) meetings, presenting research findings and updates, and being accountable that my tasks are completed and I problem-solve on my own. Outside of the day-to-day habits that prepare me for my future, this program holds networking luncheons, leadership workshops and all different kinds of seminars for up-and-coming students in the STEM field.”