Biology’s Mission Statement:
Within the context of the liberal arts environment, High Point University’s Biology Department provides students with curricular options that range from the generalized to the specialized, and that prepare them for a wide variety of post-baccalaureate goals (e.g., careers in field ecology or biomedical research; advanced studies in the life sciences; professional programs in the health sciences, such as medical school). Within our curricula, special emphasis is placed on science as a process, supported by a conceptual understanding of basic biological principles. To this end, hands-on, experiential learning opportunities are abundant, both within classrooms and teaching laboratories and through original research. As a result, our curricula foster within students not only the knowledge base, but also the critical thinking, communication and collaboration skills that prepare them for success in their future careers and for leadership roles within society.
Biology’s Student Learning Outcomes:
High Point University’s Biology Department strives to provide students with state-of-the-art, rigorous, laboratory-intensive training in their discipline that enables them to:
- understand core concepts in the fields of molecular, cell, organismal, population and evolutionary biology, and to apply those concepts in novel contexts to problem-solve;
- communicate biological concepts and data effectively, both orally and in written form, to the scientific and lay communities;
- apply scientific methods and ways of thinking, including hypothesis formation, the design and execution of well-controlled experiments, and the analysis and interpretation of experimental results;
- demonstrate knowledge and perform state-of-the-art laboratory and/or field techniques commonly used in the field of biology;
- demonstrate an understanding of the ethical and social dimensions of science, as well as the limitations and assumptions of science as practiced in the US and globally; and
- demonstrate the understanding and skills necessary to work in a diverse world.
Biology Program’s Commitment to Students:
- High Point University’s Biology Department is committed to providing students with:
- foundation courses that utilize best practices in teaching to deliver concepts and theories at the forefront of our field, and to foster scientific thinking;
- upper level elective courses in three areas (Organismal and Evolutionary Biology; Cell/Molecular Biology and Biotechnology; and Health Science) to meet the diverse interests and career goals of our students;
- comprehensive academic and career advising; and
- an inclusive academic community that values and models intellectual inquiry, diversity of thought and high standards of professionalism.