Internship Profile: Grant Hines Gets into the Media Industry

Jul 05th, 2022

Read More Internship Profiles  

Name: Grant Hines

Hometown: Owings Mills, Maryland

Major: Journalism

Internship: Hines is a non-scripted TV intern for the entertainment agency William Morris Endeavor (WME) in New York City. In his role, he works on projects assigned by agents and their assistants, specifically scouting potential new clients. He is also shadowing agents and their assistants to experience firsthand what their days are like.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU taught me the power of networking. Networking may seem intimidating, but it’s as simple as reaching out to people who you are interested in talking to, and most of the time they will be interested in talking to you, too. Meeting weekly with Assistant Director of Career and Professional Development Brandon Floyd gave me the confidence to reach out to recruiters and employees of a company. The experiences and positions I’ve accumulated at HPU have given me a range of skills that I use to excel in my internship and career. Career advisors in the Office of Career and Professional Development taught me how to reach out to employers, helped me strengthen my interview skills and even gave me book recommendations about networking. One career goal I had going into the school year was to intern away from home this summer. Because I worked with career advisors, I made that happen. I also sought and continue to seek guidance from Peer Career Advisors when I need little tips on sharpening up my resume and cover letter.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Joe Michaels, HPU’s Broadcaster in Residence, is my most impactful mentor. He continues to teach me the ins and outs of the media industry; I could sit and listen to him tell stories all day. His tips and tricks have been instrumental in how I apply myself and approach people in the industry.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Since this is my first internship, I get to see what the real world is like and have a lot of freedom as an intern to be as creative as I want with my projects. I am getting a bird’s-eye view of the media industry, which will help me navigate the career path I want to pursue after I graduate.”