Internship Profile: Francesca Riehl Focuses on Medical Sales

Aug 20th, 2022

Read More Internship Profiles

Name: Francesca Riehl

Hometown: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Major: Business administration with a minor in sales and healthcare management

Internship: Riehl works as a joint replacement sales and operations intern with Stryker Orthopaedics in its Greater Michiana branch serving the Michigan and Indiana territory. In addition to observing robotic-assisted knee and hip replacement surgeries, she shadows sales representatives for product demonstrations and sales and team meetings to learn about the instruments used. She also learned about inputting and fulfilling orders, tracking hospital implant consignment, and staying in constant communication with team members, including those in warehousing, customer service and operations.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University fosters an environment of driven individuals who are excited to get involved in as many clubs, organizations and fellowships as they can. From my first day on HPU’s campus, I was excited to get involved. Since then, I’ve had the opportunity to not only join many clubs, organizations and fellowships but also to hold leadership positions. I led the Professional Selling Club as president, driving membership numbers significantly, assisting in providing members with valuable life skills and successfully executing two internship and job career fairs. With perseverance and courage, I encouraged Stryker to come to one of our Professional Selling Club Career Fairs, during which I gained a strong interest in the internship program I am involved in today. I have also used the Office of Career and Professional Development since my freshman year for help with my resume and cover letter and advice regarding my professional future.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Larry Quinn has been my most impactful mentor at HPU. I first met him when I was a prospective student touring HPU. Since then, he has impacted my life in many positive ways. From being a shoulder to lean on when you’re homesick your freshman year, to advising college students when they’re trying to figure out what career path to choose and supporting a senior to navigate their job search, he’s his students’ biggest advocate. He sees the maximum potential in each student, even when they don’t see it themselves. I am just one of many who have walked through the doors of Cottrell and been affected by Professor Quinn, who I am thankful to have as a lifelong mentor and friend.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship with Stryker Orthopaedics has been exhilarating and eye-opening into an industry that I did not know much about before the start of my internship. The sales reps that I’ve met have shown me that knowledge truly is power and that in this industry you are working with exceptional medical professionals that expect nothing less than perfection from their sales rep and Stryker’s products. I am confident that the lessons I’ve learned and experiences I’ve had will benefit me greatly and have exposed me to the work ethic required for a demanding job in any industry.”

Share your news with us for a chance to be featured!