Class of 2022 Outcomes: Madison Baylock Designs with Confidence

Sep 15th, 2022

HPU Madison Baylock
Madison Baylock
Hainesport, New Jersey
Graphic Design
Charter Communications/ Spectrum

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary graduate from the Class of 2022:

Name: Madison Baylock

Hometown: Hainesport, New Jersey

Major: Graphic design with a minor in marketing

Post-graduation plans: Baylock works in Charlotte, North Carolina, as a graphic designer at Charter Communications/Spectrum. She produces graphic art and visual materials for promotional, branding and advertising usage.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped shape me into a confident and strong designer. My capstone classes prepared me for real-world projects in my career, and the connections I made with professors helped me find my visual voice. Tools like Handshake and the seminars that the Office of Career and Professional Development provided also helped me during my job search and when preparing for interviews.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Janis Dougherty, instructor of visual arts, always pushed me in my design projects and was a great resource for me. She is someone who I hope to always be in touch with. In my last semester, I was her student instructor for a typography class, and it was such a rewarding experience getting to help her out and be a resource to underclassmen. This experience showed me what a confident designer I had become, and it also made me reflect on the great times and experiences I’ve had at HPU.”

How has HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to your success? “Seeing staff and faculty with a smile on their face, even if it was cold rainy or early in the morning, helped motivate me to be successful during my time at HPU.”

What are the life skills HPU helped you develop that prepared you for long-term success? “One that stood out to me and prepared me the most was the importance of building relationships. Without the relationships I’ve built with professors, classmates, friends and HPU employees, I would not feel as confident to go into my career.”

What are the values and virtues HPU’s campus helped you develop that you’ll take with you after graduation? “The values of generosity and coming together as a community were shown from the start. During Freshmen Move-In, students come together to help ensure freshmen have a seamless move. I participated as a move-in crew volunteer during my time at HPU, and I loved helping families, seeing how thankful and amazed they were.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Use the resources HPU has for you to succeed.”