Internship Profile: Dylan Maberry Makes Brand Connections

Sep 14th, 2022

Read More Internship Profiles

Name: Dylan Maberry

Hometown: Houston, Texas

Major: Sales

Internship: Over the summer, Maberry joined Kontoor Brands, owner of Lee and Wrangler jeans brands, as a summer sales operations intern. In her role, she presented her ideas and suggestions to the company’s executive board in its Greensboro, North Carolina headquarters and met with buyers from large retailers such as Urban Outfitters, Free People and Macy’s.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU prepared me for the business landscape through unique classes that teach more than a typical college lecture and extend beyond the classroom. They prepare students for the real world by teaching the importance of business ethics, how to uphold positive business practices, appropriate business banter, how to humbly promote ourselves, acceptable business clothing and more. I had lunch with my manager several times after I was hired, and I felt 1924 PRIME and Alo prepared me for the formal dining setting. I was confident in my abilities and focused on the conversation rather than what fork to use for my appetizer.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Larry Quinn, chair of the Department of Marketing and Sales, is my most impactful mentor. His optimistic, energetic and dynamic personality is hard not to love. He cares for every student and genuinely wants the best for us. He also is the perfect example of what it looks like to be successful in the business world. He is a great person, with a giant heart and leads by example. He smiles and waves to every person he passes and never fails to put a big smile on your face.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience was amazing. Not only did I learn about retail sales and the behind-the-scenes operation, but I also learned about the workplace as a whole. It helped me find out what qualities are important to me when looking for an employer and allowed me to practice the soft and hard skills I’ve learned at HPU. The skills and experience I acquired will follow me wherever I get my first full-time employment offer.”

Share your news with us for a chance to be featured!