Class of 2022 Outcomes: Jake Fahler Produces News Broadcasts

Nov 03rd, 2022

393A904C-CC56-4EC9-85B6-9A0C75DEC9F3.jpeg
Jake Fahler
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Sports Media
WTAE Pittsburgh Action News 4

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary graduate from the Class of 2022:

Name: Jake Fahler

Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Major: Sports media with a minor in business administration

Post-graduation plans: Fahler works as an associate producer at WTAE Pittsburgh Action News 4 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He writes copy and film promotions for the 4 p.m. news.

How HPU helped you get there: “The skills I learned and developed at HPU are thanks to the rigorous classes I took. Paired with my experience in the field as a member of HPU Sports Link, I can say that wherever my journey may take me I’ll be prepared because of what I learned at HPU. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me land an internship with the Pittsburgh Penguins, in the spring of 2022 as well as polish my resume, LinkedIn page and digital portfolio.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Bobby Hayes and Dr. Patrick McConnell were my most impactful mentors at HPU. Hayes, assistant professor of the practice of journalism, helped me find my voice in writing and gave me my first opportunity to cover live sports during my junior year. In addition, McConnell, associate professor of sports media, provided support and helped me become a better broadcaster. Having the chance to anchor HPU sports segments helped build my confidence in front of the camera.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment was being on the sideline, working the second game of the Big South Playoffs for men’s soccer. The shot I got of the team celebrating an overtime win will always be up there as one of the best I’ve ever had.”

How has HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to your success? HPU’s campus motivated me to never settle for less than my best. Now that I’ve graduated, I’ll continue to keep pushing as hard as I possibly can to achieve whatever I set my mind to.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t let others be the author of your destiny. Whatever your dreams are, pursue them to the fullest and ignore the critics.”