Dr. Nido R. Qubein became the seventh president of High Point University in January 2005 and has implemented dozens of strategic growth accomplishments.
President Qubein has partnered with faculty and staff to forge new opportunities for HPU. Focusing on experiential education and holistic, values-based learning, graduates are prepared to live a life of both success and significance. He has served as past president of the Big South Conference and teaches a class to all freshmen titled, “The President’s Seminar on Life Skills.” In the course, Dr. Qubein shares with students the habits, skills, values, and the practical intelligence that one must apply to succeed in an ever-changing world.
He came to the United States as a teenager with limited knowledge of English and only $50 in his pocket. His inspiring life story is one filled with adversity and abundance. It is through the lens of his life accomplishments, that one appreciates his current role as an educator, philanthropist, and passionate advocate for the development of our future leaders.
Dr. Nido Qubein serves as the president of High Point University where, even in the middle of the Great Recession, he increased enrollment by 250%, grew net assets from $56M to almost a billion dollars, created seven new academic schools – most recently adding the Workman School of Dental Medicine, and attracted $500 million in philanthropic investments. His family is among the institution’s most generous donors.
Qubein has led HPU’s total enrollment this year to a record-breaking 5,600 students, even in the midst of the nation’s COVID-19 challenges. And while total enrollment grew this year, while nationally colleges experienced declines, other records include 1,000 students enrolled in graduate programs and, at 20% of entering students, HPU’s largest population of diverse students.
He came to the United States as a teenager with limited knowledge of English and only $50 before going on to build business partnerships in banking, real estate, publishing, and retail businesses.
Prior to his role as HPU president, Dr. Qubein rose to prominence as an internationally known author and consultant who has given more than 7,500 presentations worldwide.
He serves on the corporate boards of several Fortune 500 companies including Truist, the 6th largest bank in the nation, La-Z-boy, and Savista. Qubein is also executive chairman of the Great Harvest Bread Company.
As a member of the Piedmont Triad Partnership executive committee, Qubein participates in discussions regarding industry recruitment and job-creation among many other important regional topics all tied Piedmont Triad economic growth. Additionally, President Qubein has previously chaired the Economic Development Corporation in High Point and the High Point Chamber of Commerce.
He is inducted into the Horatio Alger Association for Distinguished Americans, along with Oprah Winfrey and Colin Powell. He is also the recipient of the DAR Americanism Award and, along with four U.S. presidents, the recipient of the Ellis Island Medal of Honor. Dr. Qubein has also been recognized as both the Citizen of the Year and Philanthropist of the Year in his home city of High Point. Most recently, he was named the Honorary Chairman for the internationally recognized PGA Wyndham Championship.
While incomplete, the list below recognizes President Nido R. Qubein’s life of both success and significance.
· Horatio Alger Award for Distinguished Americans
· Order of the Long Leaf Pine (North Carolina’s highest civic award)
· Master of Influence, National Speakers Association
· Ellis Island Medal of Honor
· Golden Gavel, Toastmasters International
· Citizen of the Year, High Point, North Carolina
· Distinguished Citizen Award, Chamber of Commerce
· Recipient, Sales & Marketing International “Ambassador of Free Enterprise”
· SME International Marketing Communicator of the Year
· Philanthropist of the Year, High Point, North Carolina
· The Cavett (Oscar of the speaking profession)
· DAR Americanism Award
· Philanthropist of the Year (Triad Association of Fundraising Professionals)
· Top Business and Commerce Speaker, Toastmasters International
· NSA Speakers Hall of Fame (CPAE)
· Certified Speaking Professional (CSP)
· Inducted in Beta Gamma Sigma, The Global Society for Outstanding Business Leadership
· Distinguished Alumnus, High Point University
· Distinguished Alumnus, Mount Olive College
· Distinguished Alumnus, UNCG Bryan School of Business and Economics
· Award of Distinction, Achievers USA
· Free Enterprise Award, Amway International
· Award for Distinguished Service, National Speakers Association
· Small Business Person of the Year, Chamber of Commerce
· Napoleon Hill’s Philosophy of Personal Achievement Award
· Leadership North Carolina Governor’s Award
While President Qubein has led a distinguished career in business, consulting, and professional speaking, he has always remained deeply committed to community and philanthropic endeavors.
· Former President of Big South Conference (Rock Hill, SC)
· Former Chairman, High Point Community Foundation
· Director, GTCC Foundation
· Former Trustee, YMCA’s of the USA (Chicago, IL)
· Founder, National Speakers Association Foundation (Phoenix, AZ)
· Former Chairman, Miss North Carolina/USA
· Trustee, American Humanics (Kansas City, MO)
· Trustee, Mount Olive College
· Director, Regional Hospital Endowment
· Board Member, High Point Partners
· Member, High Point Rotary Club
· Columnist, Bizlife Magazine
· Director, The National Conference for Community and Justice
· Founder, Nido Qubein and Associates Scholarship Fund
· Founding Director, American Bank & Trust Company
· Former Member, Piedmont Triad International Airport Authority
· Former Chairman, Economic Development Corporation
· Former Chairman, Chamber of Commerce
· Former Chairman, The United Way Campaign
· Former President and Chairman, National Speakers Association
· Former Director, Salvation Army Endowment Board
· Former Director, Harvard University’s Institute for Social Policy (Cambridge, MA)
· Former Director, Convention and Visitors Bureau
· Former Chairman, YMCA Heritage Club
· Former Chairman, Metropolitan YMCA Board
· Former Chairman, Wesley Memorial Stewardship Campaign
· Former Director, Presidential Board, Campbell University
· Former Trustee, Westchester Academy
· Former Chairman, American Cancer Society Fund
· Former Chairman, Camp Cheerio Capital Campaign
· Former Chairman, Carl Chavis Capital Campaign