Class of 2017 Profile: Kira Foglesong Attends Graduate School at Clemson University

Name: Kira Foglesong

Hometown: Goodlettsville, Tennessee

Major: Foglesong graduated with a double major in Computer Science and Communication with a Concentration in Game and Interactive Media Design, and minors in Mathematics and Business Administration on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Foglesong will pursue her masters in Digital Production Arts at Clemson University. 

How HPU helped you get there: “I could not have achieved as much as I have throughout my undergraduate career anywhere else but HPU. The opportunities this school has afforded me are endless and priceless. My professors and life-long friends have guided me and supported me have helped me study abroad, do Undergraduate Research and work with Steve Wozniak. Also, HPU’s sense of community and support in hiring me as a tutor and Supplemental Instructor has shaped my professional work ethic and has inspired me to give back. I have never felt more fulfilled than when I have used my skills and talents to help others find and strengthen their own. This appreciation for those who have helped me and this appreciation to pay that support forward to others will be the keys to my success in the future. I also cannot thank the folks at Career & Professional Development for their help in refining my CV and resume. I have no doubt their help was a major factor in my getting into grad school, but perhaps even more importantly, I know the skills I learned with them will be invaluable for my future resumes.”  

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “While all of my professors and friends have made immeasurable impacts on my life, the most impactful must be Dr. Stefan Hall, department chair at the School of Com, a games professor, and my advisor. He has been there for me since day one, from adding a seat for me in his freshman class, Zombies, to going on a Maymester to Japan, to taking two trips to Las Vegas to present at conferences there, to simply adding fuel to the fire of my passions for my future goals in the gaming industry. He taught me the value of pop culture in academia, and he showed me how much happiness and success can be found when you surround yourself with what you love. Best of all, he taught me I can be a successful, well-adjusted professional and be my quirky, nerdy self all at the same time.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Through all I experienced at HPU, it’s so hard to pick what might be most impactful. It has all shaped me into the person I am today. However, I could never forget meeting who would become my two best friends for my entire undergraduate career during my Presidential Scholarship Program before I even came to HPU. We met up again early freshman year because we were all studying both Computer Science and Game Design. Since that first night doing our own individual assignments in the Computer Science lab in Congdon, we were inseparable as a trio. Self-named “The Dream Team” we took as many classes as we could together and worked together on every team project that we could. We reunited for one last project this spring to make a game in our senior capstone course, Collaborative Game Development, and my time at HPU would not have been the same without them. I wouldn’t trade that experience for the world, and I know we will stay close no matter where life takes the Dream Team next.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Everything is a learning opportunity, so try your best to see the value in a lesson that goes beyond its subject matter. This will help you get through the courses you might think aren’t helpful or “aren’t worth your time” since they aren’t related to your major. Every project you work on has the potential to be a part of your portfolio, so give everything your all. Be passionate. Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “It’s a happy talent to know how to play.” I wholeheartedly believe if you’re passionate about your work, you’ll never “work” a day in your life. You can have so much fun in college especially outside the classroom, but I promise you can have a lot of fun in the classroom (and in your future job!) as well.”