Class of 2017 Profile: Kirstie Pratt Begins Career with Golf Channel

Name: Kirstie Pratt

Hometown: Leesburg, Virginia

Major: Pratt graduated with a major in Strategic Communication and a minor in Sports Management on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Pratt joins GolfNow, a division of The Golf Channel within the NBC/Universal family. As a Golfer Care Specialist, Pratt provides support to golfers through the GolfNow app. She will use the skills that she learned working for HPU’s Campus Concierge to assist customers with any concerns or obstacles that they might face.

How HPU helped you get there: “The opportunities I have had at HPU made this job completely possible. Without the chance of going to L.A. with the Media Fellows Program the summer after my freshman year, I would have never made the connections with NBC when we visited them. These connections ended up helping me network my way to my job. 

Also, Doug Hall in Career and Professional Development was always there to listen to my problems and give me advice these past four years. Lindsey Kramer always provided me with the information of my internship this past semester which helped my resume stand out against other applicants.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Jennifer Lukow gave me my love for sports management. If it wasn’t for her Intro class I probably would not have added it as my minor. She has been cheering me on since the beginning. Charisse McGhee-Lazarou was the best advisor I could have asked for. Her office was always open for me to come and talk to her and she planned the trip that gave me so many opportunities.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Getting into the Petal Points. It gave me my best friends and my second family. It made my four years at HPU the best.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Never stop trying and don’t get discouraged if everyone around you is getting jobs before graduation. Your time will come and it will be perfect.”