Class of 2019 Outcomes: Lauren Perrone Teaches in the Dominican Republic

Lauren Perrone

Although commencement is months away, recent High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Lauren Perrone

Hometown: OrangeConnecticut

Major: Spanish with a minor in Latin American studies

Post-graduation plans: Perrone will be an elementary school teacher at the bilingual school Colegio Bilingüe New Horizons in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The mission statement of the school is “Educate students with an integral, bilingual, and multicultural education through a scheme of highly advanced teaching strategies and technological resources while promoting and fostering the development of flexible, independent, and confident individuals who have solid moral values, a critical conscience, and are capable of facing challenges and transforming the world around them.”

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University helped me prepare for the future both academically and personally. HPU challenged me to grow my curiosity, and take advantage of every moment in and outside the classroom. I had the opportunity to take courses outside of my major and this allowed me to fully embrace the unique opportunities offered by attending a liberal arts university. HPU also helped me get where I am now through the tremendous amount of support I have received from professors. My professors encouraged me to believe that no matter my dream, I can achieve it through hard work and perseverance. They helped me strive towards greatness, and I could not be more thankful for all they have done to help me be successful. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me perfect my resume in order to highlight my strengths, and examples as to why I would be successful in the position I was applying to.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “It is too difficult for me to pick just one impactful mentor at HPU – in fact, I can’t. I have been incredibly blessed by the ability to learn from such inspiring individuals. Dr. Carron was the first professor I got to meet at HPU and for the past four years, has been my advisor. He has gone above and beyond to support me and make me see that no matter the challenge I can, and will overcome it. Professor Adams and Mrs. Parker have helped me see the beauty of my dreams. Professor Adams encouraged me to embrace a challenge, and no matter how discouraged I felt to always remember her saying “si se puede.” Dr. Crump gave me the gift of music and the abilities to express myself through voice lessons. Dr. Bergen helped me discover my passion to serve others. Dr. Carpenter showed me that education is a gift, and we should take advantage of every opportunity. Dr. Femenias has demonstrated to me how to be a strong female leader within the community, and how to use your leadership role to benefit others. All of these people have been role models and mentors. They are the best examples of what it means to be extraordinary. I know I have the ability to be great because I have learned from people who are great. I could not be more thankful for all my professors at HPU and for the important role they have all played in my journey to achieving my dreams.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment at HPU was when I started working for Student Life. Working for Student Life showed me my passion in helping others be successful and supporting them as they work towards their individual goals. That passion led me to my current position with AmeriCorps’s Partnership to End Homelessness. HPU gave me the opportunity to learn so much about myself and the gifts God has given me. Now I am using those gifts to serve the homeless community of Greensboro, and I am getting to see people without hope start to see the beauty of their dreams.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Soak up every single opportunity HPU has to offer- even when you are quick to say no. Take a class that is outside your major. Take the opportunity to learn something new. Step outside of your comfort zone. This is the place to do it. Four years goes by fast, extremely fast. High Point University is a family take time to meet family members that are different from you. When it gets hard, or you feel discouraged find something to be grateful for. A quote I like to remember is “A grateful heart is a happy heart.” Believe you can, and you will.”