Class of 2019 Outcomes: Paris Dunford Reports for WVNS

Paris Dunford

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are kicking off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Paris Dunford

Hometown: Wilmington, Massachusetts

Major: Strategic communication with a minor in journalism

Post-graduation plans: Dunford will be the new multi-media journalist for WVNS CBS/Fox 59 in Ghent, West Virginia. She will report on and generate content for local stories to be published on their newscasts and social media platforms.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU really pushed me to gain the real-world experiences I needed to prepare me for this career. The competitive environment of the school forced me to think outside of the box so I could stand out against my peers. Doug Hall in the Office of Career and Professional Development was dedicated to helping me tune into my strengths and to be aware of my weaknesses. I have used him as a reference whenever I was unsure if I should send that sixth follow-up email. That advice eventually led me an internship with the local Fox 8 network last semester and from there into my new career.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Bobby Hayes challenged me to think outside my comfort zone and pushed me to be a better writer. I was often frustrated with his tough grading and critiques but it ultimately prepared me for the critiquing I was going to experience in my future. At the end of the class I had with him, I was a completely different writer and student from when I started.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Entering college, I was lost with what I wanted to do for my career but I had an interest in broadcast news. My junior year I decided to dive in head first and joined the campus chronicle while taking journalism classes. One journalism class in particular let me experience HPU’s state-of-the-art newsroom and our student-run show Triad News 360. The first time I got in front of the camera, I immediately knew broadcast news was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I felt an unbelievable sense of excitement and reassurance in my decision. This experience ultimately helped me decide that being a broadcaster was the only career path for me, and I wasn’t going to take no for an answer.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Never stop trying! Always look for ways to make yourself stand out. Any experience is good experience. Oh, and don’t blink!”