Class of 2019 Outcomes: Savannah Stoughton Teaches in France

Savannah Stoughton

With commencement just around the corner, recent High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Savannah Stoughton

Hometown: Rohnert Park, California

Major: French & Francophone Studies with minors in computer science and business administration

Post-graduation plans: Stoughton will be participating in the Teaching Assistance Program in France (TAPIF). She will assist in teaching English to students in middle through high school students at the Académie de Bourdeaux in the Bordeaux region of France.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU gave me the confidence to look past the boundaries of my comfort zones, to reach for something bigger, and to see how many opportunities are available for people willing to look for them. Along with TAPIF, I also accepted a summer internship with Caffey Distributing, an opportunity that I learned about through the Office of Career & Professional Development. Career & Professional Development is amazing. For the Caffey internship, there was a three-hour networking dinner where we ate and spoke with people from every department of the internship. 1924 Prime Steakhouse, HPU’s fine-dining learning lab, really paid off at that moment. I didn’t have to worry about my manners at the table, and I felt comfortable enough in that situation to talk freely with everyone at the table. My freshman year success coach, Emily Long, is beyond amazing. I kept in contact with her throughout my four years, and she was so helpful in helping me draft an effective resume, cover letter and helped me feel prepared for interviews. Dr. Meredith Malbourne-Wade helped me write my personal statements for applications, and she was super attentive and helpful about my individual case.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentors at HPU were Dr. Benoît Leclercq and Dr. Virginia Leclercq. They are the most encouraging, inspirational teachers I have ever had, and were the reason I decided to pursue a French major at HPU. They helped me realize the importance of considering the global world, and how studying a language is an extremely rewarding and useful experience. They are both so up to date with the world our age group lives in, and they make learning fun and relatable for college students. They always gave me assignments that I could relate to.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when our former assistant coach of the women’s soccer team, Brandi Fontaine, was promoted to the head coaching job. She is the hardest working, most honest and kindest person I’ve come to know at HPU, and seeing her dedication and work pay off was an awesome moment. Her journey to being the head of a program was long, but being there when one of her big goals was finally accomplished was so inspiring for me to see. It’s something that I will carry with me even though my time as a student-athlete is over.”

Advice for underclassmen: “After graduation, it’s important to pursue something that you’re excited about. Try your best not to compare yourself to what other schools, jobs, or programs your peers are being accepted to. Everyone’s path is different, and you will find success when you go after something that you actually care about, whatever that may be.”