Class of 2019 Outcomes: Wesley Whan Pursues Masters at Notre Dame

Wesley Whan

With another successful Commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are kicking off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Wesley Whan

Hometown: Longwood, Florida

Major: Exercise science with a focus in health and wellness

Post-graduation plans: Whan will be pursuing a degree in the Master of Science in Management Program at Notre Dame’s Mendoza College of Business. 

How HPU helped you get there: “Every club and organization that I joined helped me improve my public speaking skills, taught me how to network and encouraged me to try new things. When I came to college, I had no idea how to make a resume, cover letter or LinkedIn page. The staff at the Office of Career and Professional Development offered me guidance and encouraged me to try new things every time I went to visit them.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Dr. Nathan Hedman. I took a study abroad Maymester class called “Scandinavian Literature, Theater and Film” with Dr. Hedman where we traveled to Scandinavia at the end of the semester. The first time that I met him, I told him I wasn’t a huge reader. He told me that great people always want to learn something new and that his class would change my options on reading. He was absolutely right. He has always shown me nothing but respect and honesty, and I will miss him.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Being a University Ambassador has been a great and wonderful experience. From the moment I went on my campus tour in high school, I told my parents that I wanted to do that for others while I was in college. I have learned so much from my fellow classmates and the admissions staff at HPU. They have made me a better man in so many ways, and I owe them a huge thank you.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My father used an acronym to tell me I had to do five things each year if I wanted to be successful. C (classroom) = attend 100% of all your classes. L (lead) = take a leadership position in something that teaches you how to lead/motivate others. A (attitude) = believe in yourself in everything you do because successful people do. S (stereotypes) = don’t accept stereotypes, push yourself to learn about things outside of your comfort zone. S (secrets) = don’t keep any secrets from the ones you love. People can take bad news, but they can’t take surprises.”