Class of 2021 Outcomes: Jordyn Lemons Locates a Career in California

With another Commencement quickly approaching, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Jordyn Lemons

Hometown: Powell, Ohio

Major: Marketing with a minor in sales

Post-graduation plans: Lemons joins Oracle in Santa Monica, California, as a business development consultant following graduation. She will participate in a multiyear development program focused on building foundational sales skills and mastering those skills to enable progression to advanced sales positions. Her main position would consist of strategizing with Oracle sales team and supporting them throughout the sales process.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU taught me that any opportunity is a network opportunity. As a mentor once told me, “it never hurts to ask.” Throughout my Oracle interview process, HPU instilled the confidence to ask for assistance through outside mentors, friends and people within Oracle. Ultimately, learning to advocate for myself and strategically utilize my network became the ticket to my full-time career upon graduation. The Office of Career & Professional Development was present in my professional journey beginning my freshman year. They looked over and provided feedback on my resume and cover letter, and helped me build my LinkedIn profile. During the height of the pandemic, Career & Professional Development held virtual training sessions where students could get 1-on-1 feedback with any documents or scheduled programming. I enjoyed participating in the Resume Building Workshop and How to Succeed in Your First 100 Days.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Cynthia Hanson. She is a tenacious woman who seems to have a knowledge of everything. She is almost always available, even if you are not one of her advisees. She supports every one of her students and creates a fire in the souls of her marketing students to hunger for more.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “There is no single impactful moment, but so many. From freshman year, I found likeminded people to participate in small business ideas and competitions. HPU has always encouraged an entrepreneurial mindset and it is something I held onto as I entered every year of college. After finding out I would be moving to Los Angeles, I captured the entrepreneurial mindset and started selling small charcuterie boards around campus for rent money. As I continued to sell cheese, I saw friends, family and mentors support me and my endeavors – always cheering me on. It is so rewarding to look back and see myself grow in an open-mindset and can-do attitude to solve the world’s problems. I am filled with pride to know that HPU had a hand in it all.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Ask questions ALWAYS! Use your inexperience as a powerful edge to learn as much as possible. Employers are looking for someone eager and willing to advocate for themselves, but also someone who wants to learn more. As long as you are coachable and ask questions to learn, they will be impressed.”