Class of 2021 Outcomes: Sawyer Lyons Migrates to Medicine

May 14th, 2021

Lyons Sawyer
Sawyer Lyons
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Biology

With another Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Sawyer Lyons

Hometown: Pawleys Island, South Carolina

Major: Biology and Francophone Studies

Post-graduation plans: Lyons will be attending the University of South Carolina School of Medicine Columbia to pursue a doctorate of medicine.

How HPU helped you get there: “Forging personal relationships with my professors was the most helpful thing I have ever done here at HPU. With these relationships I was able to learn from their experiences and how those decisions could impact the choices I make in my own life.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Michael Grider and Dr. Benoit Leclercq. Both professors were able to deliver personal advice that helped me make my decisions during the application process. Dr. Grider used his expertise in the field of science and medicine to help me create a strong and personal application. Dr. Leclercq showed me the importance of French language, and how it made me stand out as an applicant during the process. I spoke French on all of my medical school interviews, and having that ability was always a conversation point. Both had unique backgrounds and experiences that they shared with me to influence my decisions during this time. ”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment was participating in the university’s SuRPS program. Here I was able to explore my own interests in a setting outside of the classroom. It helped me prepare for medical school, and I recommend all students interested in science and medicine to apply to this program.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Immerse yourself in all the things the university has to offer! You never know what new interests you’ll discover during your time here at High Point.”