Internship Profile: Joseph Maronski Interns at ABC News

Jun 03rd, 2021

0998D6F1 340A 40C8 8C3C C01C1775CEA3
Joseph Maronski
Miller Place, New York
Journalism, Political Science
Internship / Job
Nightline Intern
ABC News

Name: Joseph Maronski

Hometown: Miller Place, New York

Major: Double majoring in Journalism and political science with a concentration in broadcasting and a minor in Italian studies

Internship: Maronski joins ABC News as a Nightline intern. As a Nightline intern, he will be exposed to the inner-workings of a network broadcast from pitching stories to seeing the final product on the air. He will be logging, transcribing, attending editorial meetings with executives, and more.

How HPU helped you get there: “The Access to Innovators Program at HPU is just one of the many things that have truly set me up for success. Being able to meet professionals and build relationships with them is like nothing else. Through the program, I have been able to develop not just a professional, but a personal relationship with Journalist in Residence Byron Pitts. The chance to work with him would be non-existent without this program. Starting day one, I used the Office of Career and Professional Development. From taking personality quizzes to revising my resume, to meeting with Dr. Doug Hall, I went through the office for everything and used all the resources available to me.”

Most Impactful Mentor: “My most impactful mentor at HPU has been Dr. Bobby Hayes. As my academic advisor, Dr. Hayes has been there for me every step of them way. When I went to him unsure if I should declare a double major, he talked me through it. When I went to him unsure of what internship to pursue, he talked me through it. Together we have been able to weigh the pros and cons of numerous things and I have grown because of him. I am forever grateful for him and his mentorship.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Working at ABC News has been an experience like no other. Being able to not just work with amazing professionals, like HPU’s Journalist in Residence Byron Pitts, but to form personal connections with them is truly meaningful. In my short time at ABC so far, I have had amazing opportunities to meet and hear from industry professionals, collaborate with amazing people who have taught me so much, and have my voice not just heard, but celebrated in editorial meetings. This is an experience that has taught me so much which I will take to my career, but has also reaffirmed so many of the life skills I learned at HPU while I use them daily.”