Internship Profile: Kate McCarthy Markets for Racetrac, Inc.

Aug 20th, 2021

READ MORE INTERNSHIP PROFILES

Name: Kate McCarthy

Hometown: Holden, Massachusetts

Major: Double majors in marketing and finance with a minor in sales

Internship: McCarthy spent the summer with Racetrac, Inc. as a marketing intern in Atlanta, Georgia. She assisted in all departments on the marketing team including partnerships and promotions, brand and creative, digital and app development. McCarthy worked cross-functionally with all teams in the marketing department to push initiatives, work with vendors, implement new marketing strategies and create new campaigns. She also assisted in planning the annual Run for Research 5k, secured 50+ sponsors totaling over $400,000, created and executed a TikTok marketing strategy for the RaceTrac corporate account to significantly increasing the audience reach and participated in a summer-long intern group project focusing on the development of RaceTrac Drive Thru’s by conducting research, providing recommendations and new strategies and presenting to senior leadership.

How HPU helped you get there: “I connected to a network of great professors and mentors that guided me through my academic and professional endeavors. All of the people that I have met at HPU are so eager to help me reach my goals. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me with my resume, cover letters and my LinkedIn profile. During my time at RaceTrac this summer, I was invited to a lunch with the Chief Marketing Officer and Executive Director of Merchandising. This took place at an upscale steak restaurant very similar to 1924 Prime. I navigated the conversation and meal with ease in large part due to my dining experiences at 1924 Prime.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Jenny Lukow has without a doubt been the most impactful mentor that I have had at this university. She has always been the person I have looked to for support and to talk to about anything. Dr. Lukow has been an amazing professor, a constant source of inspiration and a great person to joke around with!”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience was extraordinary and incredibly impactful. I was able to gain real-world business experience while surrounded by a great company and employees. I have made connections at and through RaceTrac that are already beginning to set me up for success for next summer and after graduation.”