Class of 2022 Outcomes: Victoria Tumilty Takes on Grad School in D.C.

May 17th, 2022

Victoria-Tumilty-Headshot-2-e1652796058610.jpg
Victoria Tumilty
Suffolk, Virginia
Psychology

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2022:

Name: Victoria Tumilty

Hometown: Suffolk, Virginia

Major: Psychology with minors in criminal justice and history

Post-graduation plans: Tumilty, who graduated summa cum laude, will be pursuing her master’s in forensic psychology at The George Washington University in Washington, D.C.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU prepared me academically and professionally to achieve my goal of continuing my education at a top tier university. The courses I took at HPU developed my passion for psychology and criminal justice and shaped me into a lifelong scholar. Professionally, HPU helped me connect with others in my field through internships and the opportunity to present my research at regional conferences. I visited the Office of Career and Professional Development often during my time at HPU. They helped me build a professional resume, CV and LinkedIn profile. They also helped me prepare for graduate school interviews.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I had two very impactful mentors. Dr. Sadie Leder Elder and Dr. Kimberly Wear were my favorite psychology professors and taught me how to conduct empirical research in areas I’m passionate about. These amazing mentors were always available to give guidance and advice on preparing for graduate school and exploring areas of my interest. I would not be the scholar I am today without their guidance and the important lessons they taught. Outside of my major, I found mentorship with Dr. Cara Kozma. I want to thank all my professors in the psychology, criminal justice and history departments — without their guidance, I would not be where I am today.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when I had the honor of being selected for High Point University’s Outstanding Psychology Student Award. This award is given to a graduating senior to honor them for excellence in scholarship, research and involvement within the psychology department during their time at HPU. It was my most impactful moment because the recipient of this high achievement is selected by psychology faculty members. This acknowledgement shows how hard I worked during my four years at HPU, and it is incredibly rewarding to know my professors think highly of me.”

How has HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to your success? “HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to my success and allowed me to learn from great professors who cared about me and my success. Every professor was more than willing to provide extra help or talk about how I could continue my success at HPU and in the future. Additionally, HPU provided top-of-the-line resources and learning facilities on campus that helped foster my education and drive for success.”

What are the life skills HPU helped you develop that prepared you for long-term success? “HPU helped me develop into the leader and scholar I am today by instilling a growth mindset into my academic and personal life. This allowed me to step outside my comfort zone. HPU also helped me become a better public speaker and leader.”

What are the values and virtues HPU’s campus helped you develop that you’ll take with you after graduation? “HPU’s campus reinforced my values and virtues of integrity and strive for academic excellence. These are two of the most important virtues I will take with me after graduation.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, and take every opportunity presented to you with open arms, as those opportunities help you grow personally and professionally. Be sure to find balance between academics and campus life to maximize your time at HPU.”