Class of 2022 Outcomes: Brooke Smith Launches Career in Charleston

Jun 06th, 2022

1DD8418E-D05F-4577-8714-DFE82B6E053B.jpeg
Brooke Smith
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Political Science and International Relations
Advanced Technology International

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2022:

Name: Brooke Smith

Hometown: Greensburg, Pennsylvania

Major: Political science and international relations with a minor in French

Post-graduation plans: Smith will be joining Advanced Technology International in Charleston, South Carolina, as an assistant subcontracts administrator. In this role, she will serve as a key member of the contracts team and be responsible for negotiating, monitoring and administering contracts and subcontracts.

How HPU helped you get there: “The political science department’s senior seminar class does a great job preparing students for the real world. My thesis was something I showed employers and helped me in my job search. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me build my resume and find job opportunities.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Mark Setzler was my most impactful professor at HPU. He helps students excel and pushes them to be better. Dr. Setzler was the most understanding teacher and helped me see my potential. He had a great impact on my college career and my life.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “I had many impactful moments at HPU that made me realize how much HPU helped me grow. The political science and French department both shaped me into who I am. I learned so much at HPU and became a better version of myself.”

How has HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to your success? “The professional atmosphere sets students up for success. In group interviews I had during my job search, I saw how other candidates presented themselves and realized High Point University set me ahead of my competition.”

What are the life skills HPU helped you develop that prepared you for long-term success? “Thanks to the life skills I learned at HPU, I am more outgoing and willing to go the extra mile. My classes taught me how to professionally present myself and talk to other professionals. HPU’s classes are challenging, but they set the bar high.”

What are the values and virtues HPU’s campus helped you develop that you’ll take with you after graduation? “Definitely God and country. In my role,  I will be doing work tied to the government, and the value of country at HPU made it a value of mine, too. My relationship with God was also strengthened during my time at HPU and is something I hope to keep my whole life.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Do what you want to do. Interviewers want to hire someone who is real and confident, and High Point University sets students up for success in this way. If you are confident, easy to talk to and can present yourself professionally, you will do well in your career and life.”