Class of 2022 Outcomes: Josiah Williams Helps Others Succeed in Science

Jul 04th, 2022

Josiah-Headshot-1-zoomed-in-e1656622515339.jpg
Josiah Williams
Charlotte, North Carolina
Neuroscience and Philosophy
Teach For America

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary graduate from the Class of 2022:

Name: Josiah Williams

Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina

Major: Neuroscience and philosophy

Post-graduation plans: Williams joins Teach For America as a high school science teacher in Charlotte, North Carolina, at a Title 1 school. Throughout the summer he will be participating in an intensive training program to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to help students succeed and to be active advocates promoting educational equity.

How HPU helped you get there: “At High Point University, I took full advantage of the opportunities for personal and professional development. I attended mock interview events at 1924 PRIME and received great insight and advice on how to articulate and present my thoughts, goals and accomplishments to an employer.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I have been incredibly fortunate to connect with and receive advice and life lessons from many professors across campus such as Dr. Laura Alexander, Dr. Claudine Davidshofer, Dr. Mark Toole, Thaddeus Ostrowski, Dr. Caroline Mobley, Dr. Stacy Lipowski, Dr. Nathan Hedman, Dr. Kristin Ackerman, Dr. Michael Grider, Dr. Alixandra Yanus and Jennifer Cotto-Eucklund. These incredible humans are directly responsible for cultivating an inspiring environment and an extraordinary education; they are caring people. There were so many moments when I sat down, had a conversation with them and felt truly in the moment. I will never forget all of the conversations and the many laughs I had in Dr. Davidshofer’s office, ranging from French politics to determining the signature perfume of different philosophers. These moments were the highlight of my time at HPU.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moments at HPU were when I walked by my professors’ offices, turned around, walked inside and said, ‘I’m here to bother you!’ I usually intended to have only a five-minute chat about the day, but they often became long conversations about life. I found relationship-building to be a fundamental life skill because connection is necessary for living a fulfilled life. I found this in the conversations I had and all of the moments that were filled with laughter and joy.”

How has HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to your success? “The beauty and intentionality of HPU’s campus provides an exemplary model of the connection between a structure and its conveyed message. Grand entrances are as welcoming as they are beautiful because one is not ‘invading’ a specific space — they are invited into the building. Recognizing this connection helped me relate to the world in my personal and professional life. For example, I must consider how the structure of a presentation implicitly communicates to my audience, because I have a duty to create an equitable space that is welcoming to everyone.”

What are the life skills HPU helped you develop that prepared you for long-term success? “My professors and the courses I took at High Point University shaped me into a conscientious citizen who can address societal problems from multiple perspectives, formulate equitable solutions and work with a team of people to implement  goals.”

What are the values and virtues HPU’s campus helped you develop that you’ll take with you after graduation? “I still remember a lesson from President Qubein’s First-Year Seminar on Life Skills about walking with intention. Often, I will find myself going through the motions or not stopping long enough to smell the roses and be present. That day, President Qubein humorously demonstrated walking with and without direction or intention, and the essence of his caricature is something I still think about. We must always ask the question, ‘Why?’ about everything we do, and we should never lower our self-respect by accepting the answer, ‘I don’t know.'”

Advice for underclassmen: “To underclassmen, I would recommend finding time for yourself at the beginning of every semester to set a clear vision. Ask yourself, ‘Why?’ and write down the image/goals that come to mind. Hold on to that vision of yourself and reflect back during the hard moments. For you cannot write a good paper without first knowing how it will conclude; likewise, a life without goals set each day is a life that becomes meaningless.”