Internship Profile: Abbie Matthews Gains Hands-on Event Experience

Jul 29th, 2022

Read More Internship Profiles

Name: Abbie Matthews

Hometown: Autryville, North Carolina

Major: Event management with a minor in social media marketing

Internship: Matthews joins the summer internship program at The Bradford, an event venue in New Hill, North Carolina. In her role, she handles a variety of office tasks and hands-on projects. She tracks inquiries, updates social media platforms and ensures the venue is prepped for tours.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has the best event management professors, which is why I have learned so much about this industry beyond the classroom. Professors work with students one-on-one to ensure they understand class material and are always willing to help.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Jessica Wiitala and Rev. Preston Davis are my most impactful mentors. Dr. Wiitala strives to put her students before anything else, and it shows. She goes above and beyond to ensure each student is on track and provided equal opportunities. Rev. Davis is a man of faith who strives to exemplify the true characteristics of Christ and makes me feel welcome, loved and cherished. He challenges me to continue to grow in Christ constantly — for that, I am thankful!”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “As an aspiring entrepreneur, this internship has given me behind-the-scenes knowledge of how the event industry operates. I’ve had the opportunity to shadow potential client tours and final walk-throughs for current clients. My favorite part of this internship is working a rehearsal dinner, wedding or any other event at The Bradford.”

Share your news with us for a chance to be featured!