Internship Profile: Harold Velasquez Markets the Magic of Disney

Read More Internship Profiles

Name: Harold Velasquez

Hometown: Pfafftown, North Carolina

Major: Marketing with a minor in sales and graphic design

Internship: Velasquez joins The Walt Disney Company in Celebration, Florida, as a marketing strategy intern. In his role, he creates and organizes marketing collateral for Walt Disney World Resort, Disneyland Resort and Disney Cruise Line. He also collaborates with the Disney Event Group, Disney Technology Sales and Fairy Tale Weddings departments to plan and implement marketing campaigns.

How HPU helped you get there: “The business program at High Point University trained me for real-world environments through case studies, challenging in-class projects, presentations, and career and professional development. I visited career advisors in the Office of Career and Professional Development for help building resumes, cover letters, and guidance on job applications and negotiations. They provided resources that helped me ensure my compensation and benefits reflected the value I bring to the company.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Cynthia Hanson, associate professor of marketing, was my most impactful mentor at HPU. She influences students daily, in and outside of the classroom. The classes I took with her were engaging and meaningful. Dr. Hanson pushes all of her students to excel beyond their comfort zone, helping them prepare for their professional careers post-graduation.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has been phenomenal. My team has helped me understand the core-values of the organization and their cross-functional responsibilities. I’ve learned the complexities of marketing for a brand that touches millions of lives all over the world. I’m also learning the power of effective storytelling and its impact on other businesses, partners and guests. Most importantly, I have access to a wide network of professionals around the globe and have developed meaningful relationships. This internship has motivated me to take on challenges that will strengthen my skillset and prepare me to lead projects. It has given me the opportunity to showcase my work, my passions and what I have learned from High Point University — to be competitive and provide solutions to challenging business problems.”

Share your news with us for a chance to be featured!