Internship Profile: Joseph Maronski Covers Politics Up-Close for NBC News

Jul 13th, 2022

Read More Internship Profiles  

Name: Joseph Maronski 

Hometown: Miller Place, New York

Major: Journalism and political science

Internship: Maronski joins NBC News’ Political Unit, in Washington, D.C., which supports programs across NBC News in their coverage of politics. As a political unit intern, he writes for “Meet the Press First Read” and other .com programs.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me grow as a professional and understand how the world of journalism intersects with politics. Through the Access to Innovators Program, I have met countless impactful professionals and developed close relationships with them, allowing me to grow and use those connections throughout my professional journey. I have also met with advisors in the Office of Career and Professional Development to review my resume, talk about my internship application process, get advice on emails and navigate the internship for credit program. Sometimes a trip to their office is needed just to celebrate an amazing opportunity or moving to the next stage of an interview process. Their staff is always there to celebrate with you, big and small, or to help you when interviews don’t go as planned.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “One of my most impactful mentors at HPU is Joe Michaels, associate professor of media production and entrepreneurship and HPU’s Broadcaster in Residence. He supports me in all of my endeavors and has been one of my biggest cheerleaders. He is always there to help me professionally, but also to give me the confidence boost we all need sometimes.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Since starting my internship with NBC News, I have covered amazing stories, met amazing people and not just been in the newsroom but a part of it. From the hearings to monumental Supreme Court decisions and midterm elections, I have contributed to the coverage of history-changing events. This has helped me grow as a journalist and a person, developing my network even more and learning every single day.”