Class of 2022 Outcomes: Claire Cartrette Pursues Nursing Career

Sep 21st, 2022

Claire-Cartrettte.jpeg
Claire Cartrette
Thomasville, North Carolina
Biology

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary graduate from the Class of 2022:

Name: Claire Cartrette

Hometown: Thomasville, North Carolina

Major: Biology with a minor in psychology

Post-graduation plans: Cartrette is attending Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, to pursue a master’s in nursing.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU provided me with numerous resources. I was able to be involved in undergraduate research, travel experiences, mentorship opportunities, leadership roles and community service. The staff all across campus genuinely care about your success and will help you achieve your goals.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Kristin Ackerman, my former physiology professor, was my most impactful mentor. She would schedule Zoom meetings with me after hours to help me understand the material. She also helped me to perfect my resume when I was applying to Emory. She is an amazing professor, and I attribute my success in the pathophysiology class I am taking now to her.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was the dedication to keeping our university open during the pandemic. I believe that in-person learning helped to further my academic success.”

What are the life skills HPU helped you develop that prepared you for long-term success? “HPU helped me to develop a growth mindset, communication, leadership and critical thinking skills. All of these skills are necessary for me to advance in my future career as a nurse/nurse practitioner.”

What are the values and virtues HPU’s campus helped you develop that you’ll take with you after graduation? “HPU is a diverse campus and has allowed me to grow and learn about other cultural backgrounds. I learned to become more empathetic to the needs of others around me. These skills will help me to be the best nurse I can be.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of all the different opportunities you are given. Explore all of your options, and follow your gut. Continue to use a growth mindset every day!”

Share your news with us for a chance to be featured!