A data scientist uses computing skills for collecting, shaping, storing, managing, and analyzing data to allow for data-driven decision making. Data scientists are in huge demand as they benefit both companies and consumers. Almost every interaction with technology includes data—your online purchases, social media feed, streaming recommendations, and even the facial recognition required to sign in to your phone.
What is a Data Scientist?
Contact William Suchan
Contact William Suchan
One N University Pkwy, High Point, NC 27268
Mon-Fri 8:30am — 5:00pm.
Mid-career median pay for Data Science majors
Increase in Data Science jobs since 2012
Projected employment growth from 2019-2029
Why Should I Major in Data Science at HPU?
- Data science experts are needed in virtually every job sector, from government security to dating apps.
- The high demand for data science skills continues to grow and data scientists are in short supply. The HPU undergraduate data science program prepares students to embrace this opportunity.
- The HPU data science curriculum incorporates the latest trends in data skills and is guided by the new ABET data science accreditation criteria.
The goal of the Computer Science department is to prepare students to combine domain expertise, programming skills, machine learning techniques, and knowledge of mathematics and statistics to extract meaningful insights from data. The professors strive to guide the students in the discovery and learning of new ideas and techniques, rather than just presenting carefully structured theories. Coursework includes:
- Computer programming in R, Python and C++
- Database systems
- Data visualization
- Data structures
- Machine learning
- Data management
- Software engineering
- Linear algebra
- Statistical analysis
- Domain area courses
- Capstone experience
Potential Domain Areas
Data science majors complete coursework in a data-rich domain area of their choosing then apply computational algorithms and machine learning techniques to data from that discipline in their capstone experience. Potential domain areas include:
- Physics and astronomy
- Biology and neuroscience
- Chemistry and biochemistry
- Exercise science
- Healthcare management
- Finance and accounting
You have completed your search and found your perfect match at High Point University. Let’s begin.
See for yourself what an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people looks like.
The Premier Life Skills University is focused on preparing YOU for the world as it is going to be.