International (F-1 Visa) students who want to work while studying in the US may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year at a job on campus only. This includes employment by affiliate partners such as Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Aramark, or Budd Services if they are located on campus.

All students who plan to work must obtain a Social Security Number, and in order to get a number, you must have a job offer.


Job Search

  • The process must first begin with obtaining a position for qualified work. Check the job listings on campus by going to the Career Center Portal and/or talk with professors or staff about possibilities for jobs. You can apply through the portal for any job that you think would be a good fit.  This includes jobs in departmental offices, the library, with Recreation Services, etc.If you would like to work at the campus locations for Jamba Juice, Starbucks, or Aramark (food services), information on applying directly with those partners can be found on the Student Employment Page.

Gather Materials for Application

Once you have been offered a position, do the following:

  • Request a letter authorizing that you have a campus job from the person who will be supervising your employment. The letter must be on High Point University letterhead, it must describe the type of work that you will be doing, and it must be signed by your supervisor.
  • Request a work authorization letter from your Designated School Official.When submitting your request to the DSO for a letter of authorization of employment be sure to include the following information:
    • Job title
    • Supervisor’s name
    • Supervisor’s title
    • Starting date of employment

When the letter is ready to be picked, up you will be notified by email.

  • Print and fill out the Application
  • Collect the following documents:
    • Passport
    • Visa
    • I-20
    • I-94 (see below)
    • one Photo ID that is at least one year old (if your passport picture is at least one year old it will be sufficient).
  • Go to the Social Security Administration office.  There are three nearby:
    • Asheboro Office: 157 Dublin Square Rd, Asheboro, NC 27203 — staff there are very helpful and friendly
    • Greensboro Office: 6005 Landmark Center Blvd, Greensboro, NC 27407 — very large office, long wait times
    • Kernersville Office: 1370 Lockland Ave, Winston-Salem, NC 27103

The hours at the Social Security Administration offices are:

  • Monday                            9 am – 4 pm
  • Tuesday                            9 am – 4 pm
  • Wednesday                      9 am – 12 pm
  • Thursday                          9 am – 4 pm
  • Friday                               9 am – 4 pm
  • Saturday/Sunday           Closed

We strongly recommend that you try to be at the Social Security office no later than 8:45 am in order to be at the front of the line.  The Greensboro office is the second most busy office in the state, so be prepared for a long wait there.  The Asheboro office is a bit further to drive, but usually the wait is not too long if you get there early.

You will not be able to begin work until the social security card arrives.  Please be sure to notify your supervisor of that, and do not work until you have the card.  Expect it to arrive within 10 days of application.  If it does not, you can call the office where you applied to check on the status.

Read more about the Social Security Administration concerning International Students.


You will need to take ALL of the following items to the Social Security Administration office:

  • Letter from on-campus supervisor (step 2)
  • Letter from DSO (step 3)
  • Application from SSA, which can be found online (see above).
  • I-94 Admission Number – Retrieve at
  • I-20
  • Valid passport with Visa (Photo ID must be at least one year old.  If your passport is new, take another photo ID with you)