If you are the victim of a robbery:
- Do what you are told by the person(s) without argument. Encourage others to do the same.
- As soon as it is safe, immediately contact HPU Security. The security dispatcher will coordinate the police response, and can send someone to help more quickly.
- Provide the dispatcher with as much information as possible:
- Description of the suspect (clothing, physical description, etc.)
- Was a weapon involved?
- Were threats made?
- Direction and mode of travel (did he flee on foot, in a car, etc.)
- Was anyone hurt?
- Do not attempt to follow the individual but pay attention to what direction he travels.
A robbery or theft may be preventable – taking simple actions can help prevent this situation from occurring to you or someone else.
Consider doing the following:
- Lock your doors when you leave your room (even for a few minutes).
- Do not leave valuables (phone, computer) unattended. Take them with you or have a friend watch them if you must leave.
- If you see something suspicious, call HPU Security or submit a LiveSafe tip. Do not wait to call.
- Lock your car doors, and do not leave valuables inside.
- Walk in groups – do not walk alone as this makes you a better target.