Internship Profile: Curt Walker Develops Business Skills with Tanger Outlets

Aug 08th, 2021

Linkedin Headshot

READ MORE INTERNSHIP PROFILES

Name: Curt Walker

Hometown: Graham, North Carolina

Major: Business administration with minors in marketing and sales

Internship: Walker worked as a property management intern with Tanger Outlets in Hilton Head, South Carolina. He worked directly with the general manager, operations director and marketing director. Walker was tasked with launching a local Instagram page and assisting in running the Facebook account. He spent the majority of my summer working on a project where he took a trolley that was used as a ride service pre-Covid and turned it into a Pop-Up Shop to create an unbudgeted revenue stream.

How HPU helped you get there: “In my freshman year at High Point University, I attended a career fair where I met a recruiter for Tanger Outlets. I later discovered that a friend of mine in Alpha Kappa Psi was interning with Tanger Outlets the next summer. Due to my initial contact and network, I was able to project my opportunity with Tanger Outlets. I visited the Office of Career and Professional Development to craft an articulate resume that projected exactly my strengths and experience.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I accredit my growth and success to being a member of Alpha Kappa Psi. This business fraternity is full of highly achieved students whose network reaches vast. These students also have the drive and push for better, and they have offered me a lot of mentorship.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Throughout this summer my experience has been challenging and growing. I have been able to learn a great deal about REITs as well as how companies are operating post-COVID. I view this summer as a growth point in my life where I have been able to apply my book knowledge from High Point University into real-life decisions where impacts do occur. I believe this internship has prepared me for my future by showing me what positions I enjoy and those I don’t enjoy.”