Applications for travel to present, compete, perform, or otherwise showcase undergraduate scholarly work.

The High Point University Undergraduate Research and Creative Works Program is committed to encouraging and supporting high quality undergraduate research and creative projects. To that end, the University has made funds available to support student and faculty sponsor travel to showcase completed student research and creative works.

Students and faculty sponsors are invited to apply for funds to:

  • travel to a conference where you will give an oral presentation or poster presentation on research or creative works.
  • attend a competition where you will compete, perform, or otherwise showcase creative work.

Application Guidelines

  • Please submit your application at least 3 weeks before travel to allow for time for your request to be approved. We will not accept requests after the conference. It is acceptable and advisable to submit an application while your abstract is still under review from the conference organizers.
  • Funding is not guaranteed. Plan accordingly. If your travel plans are dependent upon receiving funding from URCW, do not purchase airplane tickets, register for a conference, or incur other  expenses until you receive notice of funding.
  • If faculty and students are traveling together, the faculty member should submit one group application to cover student and faculty travel. If a student is requesting funds to travel alone, the student should complete the Student Travel Grant Application. Both applications are available below.
  • The university would like faculty to make the travel arrangements for students, using Concur, when possible.
  • Student and faculty travel must be pre-approved for travel (Faculty Professional Development Funding and Travel Form & HPU Guest & Student Travel Request Form) and the forms submitted with the application, BEFORE travel arrangements are made.  For more information on High Point University’s travel information, please visit
    Every student who applies for funding must have a faculty sponsor who can vouch for the quality and validity of the work, provide guidance in making a quality presentation, etc.
  • If a student requesting support is not presenting, competing, or performing, then the student should demonstrate how his/her travel ultimately will contribute to a future presentation of completed research or creative work.
  • All follow-up paperwork to reconcile prepaid expenses and/or request reimbursement should be submitted to the URCW Office  within two weeks of the return date.
  • Students traveling to the same event are expected to share housing and transportation where appropriate. Students who submit individual receipts for what should be shared costs may not be reimbursed. If a student wishes not to share a room, they will be responsible for half the cost.
  • Travel for faculty sponsors may be supported by these funds if faculty are not attending for their own professional development.
  • Students who are supported by a URCW grant are required to present their work at our on-campus forum, High-PURCS.
  • If faculty and students are traveling together, the faculty member should submit one group application to cover student and faculty travel. If a student is requesting funds to travel alone, the student should complete the Student Travel Grant Application. Both applications are available below.
  • An application will not be reviewed until it is complete.

Budget Guidelines

  • Budget numbers on this application are considered estimates, but to be as accurate as you can, include tip and tax in estimates. For instance, your lodging estimate should include the daily hotel rates plus all additional taxes and fees.
  • The URCW grants routinely cover registration, hotel, presentation materials, airfare (at the economy rate), baggage fees only for travel longer than 3 nights, and transportation between airport and conference site or  car transportation between the university and conference site.
  • The grants do not reimburse for food or beverage, airfare add-ons, additional charges to the hotel room, or tips over 20%.
  • If traveling by car, please print route of travel map(s) from a GPS program and add up the mileage indicated. Car travel will be reimbursed using current HPU reimbursement rates for miles indicated by a GPS program (see note below for where to find information on the current mileage rate).  This map must be submitted with your receipts.
  • We will not be able to reimburse expenses without appropriate receipts.
  • All university policies regarding travel, expenditures, reimbursement, and behavior must be followed.  The HPU Code of Conduct and Honor Code are in full effect during travel sponsored by the university. If students are found to be in violation of these codes, any URCW-approved funds will be revoked.
  • For information about the university’s travel policy (including current mileage rate), the Travel Expense Form, the HPU Guest & Student Travel Request, or the Faculty Professional Development Request Form go to Blackboard and click through Organizations/Business Office-Purchasing/Travel Policy.

Reimbursement Guidelines

  • URCW travel funds are typically disbursed following submission of a completed travel report and receipts. To have URCW Grant Funds disbursed to you, you must submit an itemized Travel Expense Report Form, an Excel spreadsheet showing itemized expenses per individual, along with itemized receipts for each expenditure, within two weeks of your return.
  • For  further detail on steps to receive reimbursement see our Guidelines to Reimbursement page. There is printable version as well.

Application Review and Award Amounts

Each application will be reviewed by a sub-committee from the Undergraduate Research and Creative Works Committee. The sub-committee will look at applicants who adhere to the application and budgetary guidelines as stated above. Please note that many factors are taken into consideration when funds are awarded. The following represent the maximum amount awarded for each area per individual per year!

Student Award Amounts:

  • $1000 – Student presentation or competition at a conference. The student must actively be participating in the undergraduate research program with an oral presentation, poster, panel, competition, performance, exhibition, etc.
  • $250 – Student observer at a conference. Student must clearly identify the purpose for attending and the learning objectives on how this attendance will facilitate the development of a future URCW project.

Faculty Award Amounts:

  • $1500 – Must be traveling with at least 1 student who is presenting. Any travel that extends beyond the student attending should be covered under professional development. If faculty are presenting they need to use professional development funds.

There is an upper limit on the amount an applicant can be awarded a year. Applications will continually be reviewed and awarded through out the academic year until funds for the academic year have been exhausted.

Application Forms:

GROUP TRAVEL GRANT (This form should be used when faculty and students are traveling together. Faculty should complete this form for all attending together. 
STUDENT TRAVEL GRANT (A student completes this form only if NOT attending with faculty)

If you have questions about the application process or guidelines, please contact Dr. Joanne Altman, Director of Undergraduate Research and Creative Works (