HPU’s minor in Education Studies provides students with an understanding of the field of education as a social science, a pedagogical practice and a cultural force, including its foundational ideas, trends and issues, as well as its components of human learning and development, school culture, student diversity, and instructional methods. It supplements students whose major(s) prepare them for instructional settings other than the traditional public school classroom or whose career plans include working with children or young adults. It does not require students to fulfill the requirements for teacher licensure.
The Education Studies Minor might be a good fit for you if…
- Your chosen profession or career includes instructing others in some capacity (e.g. employee/consumer education or training)
- You want to teach (e.g. in private schools or internationally), but do not wish to pursue teacher licensure
- You plan on teaching at the college level
- Your career plans include working with children or young adults
- You have an interest in education policies or practices