Skip to Main Content

Academic Honor Code & Conduct Code

Acceptance of an offer of admission from High Point University constitutes de facto endorsement of the University Honor Code and University Code of Conduct; and therefore professors may ask students to sign the following pledge:
On my honor, I have abided by the High Point University Honor Code.

Academic Advising & Web Registration

Program Directors and program-assigned faculty advisors are available to counsel students on issues related to program requirements and scheduling.

Registration for graduate classes will be available several weeks prior to the start of the term (see each program’s Graduate Calendar for specific registration dates). During this time students must login to their Student Planning account and register for classes. The only exception to this process is for students who are registering for practicum, thesis, capstone, or dissertation courses. For these courses, students must complete the approval form (with the appropriate signatures) and turn it into the Office of Graduate Operations. Once the stated registration period is over, the student will not be able to make any changes or drop any classes online. Beginning the first week of class, all changes must be made in the Office of Graduate Operations.  Students who do not register for classes online will have to register in person in the Office of Graduate Operations during the first week of classes.

Academic & Non-Academic Grievance Procedures

Situations may arise in which a student believes that he or she has not received fair treatment from a faculty member in an academic matter. When students wish to appeal a grade decision or academic decision, they must first contact the faculty member teaching the course or department in which the academic decision was made; should this in the opinion of the student not be an amicable discussion and/or rationale for the grade or academic decision, the student must then appeal to the Dean of the College for the applicable course. If this discussion is not with the desired outcome and/or investigation, the student may then appeal to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs.

All other academic decision appeals may first be directed to the Director of the Graduate Program; if the decision and/or discussion are not amicable for the student’s needs, they must then appeal to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs. If a student does agree with the Provost’s decision, they do have the right to appeal to the President’s office who will then assign the case to the Executive committee and those members will host a hearing for the student’s case to be heard. All non-academic issues and questions and/or concerns may be appealed to the Director of Graduate Programs. If the decision of the Director is not agreed upon by the student, the student may appeal to the Provost of the University. If the Provost decision is not one that the student agrees with, the student may appeal to the Office of the President. Grievances of a non-academic nature, such as discrimination or harassment, should be taken to the Vice President for Student Life.

Academic Standing

  • Academic Good Standing. A student is in academic good standing with acceptable grades (i.e. A, A-, B+, B, B- and CR) in completed graduate courses, and a minimum GPA of 3.0 for all graduate courses.
  • Academic Warning. A student is in academic warning when one grade of “C+, C or C-“ is earned or the GPA is below 3.0.
  • All grades earned in Master’s graduate courses are considered in the determination of academic dismissal. All grades earned in the Doctoral graduate courses are considered in the determination of academic dismissal. Only degree-seeking students are eligible to appeal academic dismissal.

Academic Dismissal

A student will be dismissed from graduate study when: a grade of C is received in two graduate courses; a grade of F is received in one graduate course; comprehensive examinations are failed on the second attempt; oral thesis defense is failed on the second attempt; or the minimal cumulative GPA of 3.0 is not achieved for the number of credit hours required for the degree. All grades earned in graduate courses are considered in the determination of academic dismissal. Only degree-seeking students are eligible to appeal academic dismissal.


Your High Point University Bookstore is the number one source for textbooks.  The bookstore offers new, used, rental and electronic textbooks.

The High Point University Bookstore also has a great selection of clothing including Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, Under Armor, Nike, Adidas, and many other leading brands.  You may also purchase school supplies, snacks, greeting cards, gift items, campus authors, best-selling books, and more!

Store Hours :

Monday  – Friday:  8:30 – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday:   10:00 – 3:00 p.m.

The campus bookstore is located on the second floor of the Slane Student Center. The Bookstore can be reached at (336) 841-9221 or via email at

Career Services

Located on the first floor of Cottrell Hall, this professional staff will assist students with a comprehensive range of services designed to help students explore, prepare for and implement their career goals. Services include career counseling, interest inventory administration, guided career research and career decision-making. Students also benefit from educational presentations on such topics as networking, resume writing, and interviewing skills. Additionally, graduate students may participate with on-campus interviewing events.

Counseling Services

The Counseling Center is in Slane, 3rd Floor. There are six counselors that can help you with transition issues, relationship issues, anxiety, depression, eating disorders, sexuality issues, trauma, substance abuse, grief, stress and time management issues. To make an appointment email the Counseling Center at

Disability Procedures & Learning Resources

High Point University will not discriminate in the recruitment, admission, educational process or treatment of students with disabilities. In making reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities, the University will consider educational modifications, architectural barriers, and other services available to all students.
At the beginning of each term, a student must request their accommodation letters for faculty, staff and campus officials.  The student will deliver the accommodation letters in a timely manner prior to the need for the accommodation.  Accommodations are not retroactive, so students are asked to request accommodation letters the first week of classes.  Accommodations are in place only after the student presents the accommodation memos to the instructor and discusses arrangements to be made. Accommodations approved by the University will be made available at no cost to the student.
If you believe that you may need assistance or need for accommodations, please visit their website or call 336-841-9652.

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

FERPA is a Federal law designed to protect the privacy of education records. It also provides guidelines for appropriately using and releasing student education records. It is intended that students’ rights be broadly defined and applied. Therefore, the student is considered to be the “owner” of his or her education record, and the institution as the “custodian” of that record. If you have questions regarding release of information, please visit

Financial Assistance

Graduate Program students are eligible for loan funds through the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program. Graduate students should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for financial assistance. The FAFSA should be filed online at as soon as the student knows he or she is pursuing admission at High Point University. High Point University’s Title IV School Code is 002933. The maximum annual limit for the Federal Stafford Loan is $8,500, and the maximum annual limit for the Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is $12,000. Students attending summer school should make sure they do not borrow their entire eligibility during the fall and spring semesters so that they will have enough funding remaining for summer.

The FAFSA worksheet may be picked up at the Office of Student Financial Planning or accessed online at If further assistance is needed concerning the financial aid process, contact the Office of Student Financial Planning at (336) 841-9124,

Office of Information Technology

The Office of Information Technology (IT) covers all electronic systems and services including data and voice networks, the campus telephone system, internet access,, the campus-wide wireless network and Blackboard. To contact or seek assistance, call 336-841-4357 or My.Highpoint.Edu is an online service that allows students electronic access to their information such as grades, transcripts, online registration, and other information related to their academic lives.

  • ​Access important information about your university account;
  • Click into your Blackboard Courses;
  • Find a centralized collection of useful university systems.
Email Account Students are provided free High Point University email accounts. Norcross Graduate School uses this email account as the primary channel of communication to graduate students. Email accounts are activated after a graduate student pays
their matriculation deposit with the University.

Security Department

Security Officers provide safety coverage 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  Contact 336-841-9111 for an emergency or 336-841-9112 for non-emergency issues.

HPU is a cashless campus program.  Students are able to make deposits to their Passport Card “General Account” by visiting the HPU website and using a credit or debit card, 24 hours a day. Additionally, the university provides Passport Teller machines that accept both cash and credit card deposits.

HPU Passport The HPU Passport is an identification card that allows students to access buildings and into events.  The Passport is created in the Security Office.  Registering for classes continuously and ahead of time for each term ensures that the Passport remains active allowing access to buildings.
Parking For graduate students who attend classes or use the library on the main campus, campus vehicle registration must be completed.  Vehicle registration begins online at

Smith Library

Smith Library is the center of learning on the High Point University campus.  It houses a wide array of resources that are available to students, faculty, and staff.  The Library offers both a large in-house and on-line book collection as well as magazine and journal titles.  There is off campus access to all e-resources.  The Library provides wireless access.  It provides public computers and a variety of spaces for the instructional/learning needs of students.  Contact the Smith Library at (336) 841-9101 or

Tobacco-Free Environment

High Point University is a tobacco-free campus.  This policy prohibits tobacco use across campus including inside and outside of buildings, patios and walkways, parking lots, university owned properties, inside vehicles, and any and all other areas of campus.  No one is allowed to sell or discard tobacco-related products on campus.