1. Be accepted for admission to High Point University
2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa as soon as possible after October 1st each year
- FAFSA may only be completed by US Citizens and Permanent Residents
- FAFSA is the only application for financial aid our office requires
- In order to complete the FAFSA the student and the parent (of undergraduate students) will have to apply for a FSA ID – this is a unique identifier that serves as your signature
- Remember to include the HPU school code (002933) in the release section in order for our office to receive your FAFSA results
- The results of your FAFSA should be received by the Student Financial Planning Office within 10 days from the date of filing
- If you did not include your Social Security Number (SSN) on your Admissions application, then please call into our office (336-841-9160) so that it can be added to your account. We cannot access your FAFSA application without a SSN in our system
3. Upon receiving your FAFSA data, your Financial Planning Counselor will review your eligibility for our need-based programs
- You will receive a personalized financial aid package
- All aid offered through our office is need based. Merit based scholarships are administered by the Admissions Office
- Digital financial aid packages will be emailed out starting mid-March each year for new incoming Freshman. In order to provide you with a comprehensive award package, we will wait to mail an offer letter until decisions on presidential scholarships and academic fellowships have been reached
- Offer letters for returning students will be sent out digitally at the end of the Spring term. Financial aid offer notifications will be sent as an email to both the student’s HPU email and personal email on file. You can update your contact information by going to my.highpoint.edu, clicking “Sign In” in the upper right hand corner and viewing “Account Information” under “My Account”.
- All aid packages will include the Financial Aid Terms and Conditions
Please Note: If you are selected for a process called “verification”, you will receive a letter from our office requesting required supportive documentation. Please respond to these requests as soon as you can so that our office may continue processing your application for financial assistance.
4. If you are offered federal student loans, then you can accept or decline these loans online through the Student Financial Services section of the Student Financial Services Portal.
- In order to receive funding from the Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan program, you must complete Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN). These requirements must be completed before funds will be released from the federal loan center. These steps are further explained in detail within the portal.
- We encourage you to also complete the Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement, even though it is not required to take out your loans.
- Students wishing to modify or accept only part of the federal direct loans offered will need to complete the Federal Direct Student Loan Form for the specific aid year.
Please Note: Financial aid awarded by or administered through High Point University will be credited to your account, half in the Fall Term and half in the Spring Term. The only exception is the Student Employment Program (SEP) for which undergraduate students receive payment for actual hours worked each pay period.