1. Be accepted for admission to High Point University
2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at fafsa.ed.gov as soon as possible after October 1st each year
- FAFSA may only be completed by US Citizens and Permanent Residents
- FAFSA is the only application for financial aid our office requires
- In order to complete the FAFSA both the student and the parent will have to apply for a FSA ID – this is a unique identifier that serves as your signature
- Remember to include the HPU school code (002933) in the release section in order for our office to receive your FAFSA results
- The results of your FAFSA should be received by the Student Financial Planning Office within 10 days from the date of filing
- If you did not include your Social Security Number on your Admissions application, then please call into our office (336-841-9160) so that it can be added to your account. We cannot access your FAFSA application without a SSN in our system
3. Upon receiving your FAFSA data, your Financial Planning Counselor will review your eligibility for our need-based programs
- You will receive a personalize aid package in the mail
- All aid awarded through our office is need based. Merit based scholarships are administered by the Admissions Office
- Aid packages will be mailed out starting the beginning of March each year for new incoming Freshman. In order to provide you with a comprehensive award package, we will wait to mail an award letter until a decision on your presidential scholarship has been reached
- Award letters for returning students will not be sent out until the end of the Spring term
- All aid packages will include the Financial Aid Terms and Conditions
Please Note: If you are selected for a process called “verification”, you will receive a letter from our office requesting required supportive documentation. Please respond to these requests as soon as you can so that our office may continue processing your application for financial assistance.
4. If you are offered any loans, then you need to complete a Loan Acceptance Form
If you are ACCEPTING your student loan(s) to help cover the cost of your education:
- Step 1: Complete Entrance Counseling at studentloans.gov
- Step 2: Complete a Master Promissory Note at studentloans.gov. This is a binding, legal document through which the borrower agrees to repay the loan. It should be read carefully and a copy retained for the borrower’s records.
- Step 3: Turn in the completed and signed Loan Acceptance Form to the Office of Student Financial Planning in person, via mail or via secure fax (336-841-4649)
If you are DECLINING your student loan(s) at this time:
Check decline on the Loan Acceptance Form and turn the signed form into the office of Student Financial Planning in person, via mail or via secure fax (336-841-4649)
Please Note: Financial aid awarded by or administered through High Point University will be credited to your account, half in the Fall Term and half in the Spring Term. The only exception is the Student Employment Program (SEP) for which you receive payment for actual hours worked each pay period.