Withdrawal from HPU / Refund of Paid Tuition

When a student registers, it is for the full term or semester. Therefore, if the student withdraws from the University during the period, for whatever reason, the comprehensive fees (includes: tuition and fees, plus any housing and dining) will be prorated according to a schedule determined by the enrollment restriction status of the student’s graduate program. A program’s enrollment restriction status is usually determined by accreditation requirements and refers to the total number of students that can matriculate into a program in any given academic term. Enrollment restricted programs have a limit to the number of students that can enroll in a given academic term. Enrollment unrestricted programs, on the other hand, can enroll as many students as can be accommodated by available resources. Due to student withdrawals from each type of program having different long term implications for both the program and the university, the calculation of charges for withdrawal from High Point University are likewise different.

The following table indicates the amount students in enrollment restricted and enrollment unrestricted programs will be charged upon official withdrawal. It does not indicate how much a student will be refunded. Refunds are dependent on the total amount of out-of-pocket payments received and the amount of financial aid a student is eligible to keep based on the official withdrawal date.

Fall and Spring Semesters

Official withdrawal from the UniversityAmount Credited *
Before the Semester Begins100%
First Week of the Semester75%
Second Week of the Semester50%
Third Week of the Semester25%
After the Third Week of the Semester0%

Full Summer Session (June & July)

Official withdrawal from the UniversityAmount Credited *
Before the Session Begins100%
First 5 days of the Session50%
After the 5th day of the Session0%

Maymester, Summer I, & Summer II Sessions

Official withdrawal from the UniversityAmount Credited *
Before the Session Begins100%
First 3 days of the Session50%
After the 3rd day of the Session0%
The above tables apply to the following enrollment unrestricted programs: Communication and Business Leadership (MACBL), Strategic Communication (MACOM), Masters of Education (MED & MAT) and Educational Leadership (EDD)

* All non-refundable deposit to hold a student’s slot in the class and/or housing, originally credited to tuition or housing, will not be included in the refund calculation.

Any refund is contingent on a student officially withdrawing from the university. To officially withdraw from the university, a student must complete a withdrawal form. This form can be obtained from the Office of Graduate Operations on the first floor of Norcross Graduate School.

Students wishing to withdraw should also consult with the Office of Student Financial Planning to determine if stipulations associated with financial aid or loans will lead to changes in the financial statement.