General Education requirements at High Point University include the completion of one foreign language class at the 1020 level or higher.  American Sign Language is the only language that will not fulfill the foreign language requirement.

To receive a foreign language substitution, a student must qualify for and be approved by the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services (OARS).  Students who wish to apply for a FLS may indicate this on the OARS COMPASS Registration, if not yet registered with OARS.

Students who are already registered with OARS and receive accommodations should complete the Additional or Renew Accommodation Request through their COMPASS Portal to request FLS as an additional accommodation.

FLS must be specifically requested by the student, as course substitutions do not come automatically.

While each request is decided on a case-by-case basis, OARS considers the following collective information for approval:

  • Whether a student’s primary diagnosis/learning difference is language-based.
  • Whether a student received a foreign language substitution or a language waiver in high school.
  • Whether a student received a grade in a high school foreign language of C- or higher.  Students with such grades would not likely be eligible for a substitution at HPU, as the grades are an indication of the ability to be successful with a foreign language course.
  • For a student who is currently attending a foreign language course at HPU, a statement from the foreign language instructor will be requested.

Foreign language substitution decisions along with a list of classes that can be substituted for a foreign language will be sent to the student via their HPU email.