An undergraduate student that has declared Chemistry or Biochemistry as a major may receive Departmental Honors if he or she meets the following minimum requirements, in agreement with qualifications listed in the Undergraduate Bulletin and consistent with the expectations of the High Point University Honors Scholars Program:

  • Register and complete 3 consecutive semesters of undergraduate research (CHM 4550) with the same professor in the Department of Chemistry
  • Participate in research for a minimum of 3 hours per week, in addition to 0.5 hours of face-to-face time with his/her mentor per week
  • Be actively involved in each step of the process, from literature searches, to experimental design, to data collection, to dissemination
  • Present his/her work at least one off-campus meeting such as the Southeast Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society (SERMACS), State of North Carolina Undergraduate Research and Creativity Symposium (SNCURCS), National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) or another regional or national meeting appropriate for the discipline
  • Formally apply for Departmental Honors during the junior year or by the start of the Fall Semester of senior year
  • Have a 3.5 cumulative grade point average both in the major and overall at the time of entry into the program and maintain this minimum average.
  • Register for the honors section of Senior Seminar (CHM 4990)
  • Present his or her own research for Senior Seminar, instead of a literature review
  • Write an honors thesis on his or her research in accordance with university honors policy, to be evaluated by a department committee and research mentor
  • Achieve a department-determined satisfactory score on the American Chemical Society exam component of Senior Seminar, in accordance with passing a written comprehensive examination
  • Achieve a department-determined satisfactory score on the oral presentation component of Senior Seminar, in accordance with passing an oral examination
  • Register as a mentee with the Undergraduate Research and Creative Works Office, as well as register any presentations or publications

To indicate your interest in pursuing Departmental Honors, please fill out this survey. We will contact you shortly.