Office Of Counseling Services

Alcohol and Other Drugs

HPU Substance Helpline

(336) 841-9390

The HPU Substance Helpline is a confidential resource that is offered to students in order to connect to needed resources, help students explore their own substance use patterns, and support recovery. It will be answered by our Licensed Clinical Addiction Specialist, Dr. Brenden Hargett, during normal business hours Monday-Friday from 8:30-5:00pm. There will be follow up contact each morning, Monday-Friday,  for messages that are left in the evenings. The number is (336) 841-9390.  We are hopeful that this line will be a valuable asset for information for our students.  This line is not for emergencies.  If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911 or proceed to the nearest emergency room.

Alcohol and drug use can begin for many college students as a casual or occasional endeavor. However, what began as dabbling with alcohol and drugs can quickly turn into substance abuse or dependence.

Do I Have a Problem With Alcohol or Drugs?

Alcohol abuse or dependency may be a problem when you answer yes to one or more of the following questions:

  • Have you ever tried unsuccessfully to cut down on your drinking or drug use?
  • Have people annoyed you by criticizing your drinking or drug use?
  • Has your drinking or drug use annoyed and/or angered your family or friends?
  • Have you ever felt bad or guilty about your drinking or drug use?
  • Have you ever had a drink or used drugs first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or combat a hangover?
  • Do you find yourself craving alcohol or other drugs?
  • Are you unable to stop drinking or using drugs once you start?
  • When you stop drinking or using drugs, do you experience withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, sweating, shakiness, and anxiety?
  • Do you need to increase your alcohol or drug intake in order to feel the effect of it?
  • Are you unable to fulfill major school, work, or home responsibilities?
  • Are you drinking or using drugs in situations that are physically dangerous?
  • Do you have recurring alcohol or drug related legal problems?
  • Are you continuing to drink or use drugs despite your recognition of the problems that are caused or worsened by alcohol or drugs?
  • Have you experienced blackouts or memory lapses when drinking or using drugs?
  • Do you drink or use drugs to relieve stress?
  • Do you drink or use drugs by yourself?
  • Do you often drink or use drugs to get ready for a social event?
  • Are you truthful about your alcohol or drug use?

Recovery Support

Recovery Adventurous Panthers

Recovery Adventurous Panthers is program available for High Point University students who have four months or more into active, abstinent recovery from an addiction with a commitment to ongoing sobriety. The purpose of this program is to maintain ongoing recovery efforts through collaboration with other students with similar interests and support their wellness recovery plan.

Students who are interested in this programming should schedule a consultation appointment with the Office of Counseling services at 336-888-6352. 

If you would like to speak directly with a Licensed Professional Counselor about any substance use concerns, or simply have questions, contact the Office of Counseling Services.



National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration – National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
Smart Recovery – National self-help organization devoted to cognitive therapy-oriented recovery from substance abuse.

Alcoholics Anonymous
Narcotics Anonymous



Monday - Friday
8:30am to 5:00pm 

High Point University
3rd Floor Slane Center
High Point, NC 27268
336-888-6306 (Confidential Fax)