Office Of Counseling Services

Mental Health Emergencies

What is a Mental Health Emergency?

  • You or someone else is in imminent danger.
  • Imminent danger is an immediate threat of harm or death.
  • You or someone you know has a current plan and/or  intent of suicide or homicide.
  • You or someone you know is currently having thoughts of harming someone else.


What should you do if you or someone you know

is experiencing a mental health emergency?

During Business Hours:  Monday – Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm, you may walk-in to Counseling Services.  If you are in physical danger, please call 911, as well as Campus Safety and Security at 336- 841-9111 or X9111 from a campus extension. 

After Business Hours and Weekends:  Call  HPU Campus Safety and Security  at  336-841-9111 or x9111 from a campus extension.   

Learn more about Campus Safety and Security HERE

The Suicide Prevention Lifeline has 24/7 chat and phone lines.  1-800-273-8255 

You may also call 9-1-1 and/or proceed to your nearest emergency department.  The nearest emergency department from campus is located at High Point Medical Center/Wake Forest Baptist Health Center at 600 North Elm Street in High Point, NC.  Ask to speak to the Behavioral Health Triage Counselor upon arrival.

Other local behavioral health emergent care is available in our local community at:

Old Vineyard located at 3637 Old Vineyard Road, Winston-Salem, NC  336.794.3550

Moses Cone Behavioral Health located at 700 Walter Reed Drive, Greensboro, NC  336.832.9700

Mobile Crisis, 1-877-626-1772  is also available 24/7.

If you have experienced a sexual assault:

You may be experiencing many thoughts and feelings that are difficult to process.  First, make sure you are safe.  If you are feeling unsafe, and may be in danger, call 911.  If you are safe, you have several options for support.  Many sexual assault survivors choose to immediately go to the emergency room for medical attention, and/or seek services from a sexual assault nurse examiner, and may also at some point decide to report the assault to authorities.  However, it is okay to not know what you want to do. You have time to decide.  There are several options for support and reporting.

Please read Steps You Can Take After Sexual Assault

What is a Sexual Assault Forensic Exam?

SANE Nurse at Cone Health

Confidential Supportive Resources on Campus – These individuals are not mandated to report to authorities and are confidential. 

Counseling Center
Slane Center | 3rd Floor | 336-888-6352

Student Health Services- Novant Health
Wilson Hall | 336-841-4683

Chapel Services and Religious Life (Ordained staff)
Hayworth Chapel | 336-841-9241

Confidential Off-Campus Resources

Family Service of the Piedmont (Sexual Assault Services): 1401 Long Street High Point, NC , 336-889-6161

Family Justice Center : 505 E. Green Dr., High Point, NC 27260
(336) 641-SAFE (7233)
(336) 641-2889 Direct

National Sexual Assault Hotline, 800.656.HOPE (4673)

Non-Confidential Campus Resources – Any staff member or faculty that is aware of  sexual assault is mandated to report to campus officials. 

You may also choose to report to High Point University’s Title IX Office

Kayla A. Rudisel, JD | Director of Title IX, 336-841-9138

Campus Safety and Security, Emergency: 336-841-9111, Non-Emergency: 336-841-9112

Campus Resource Guide for Students Impacted by Sexual Violence, Intimate Partner Violence, and Stalking 

Concerned about a student?

Make a Care Alert Referral. These referrals should NOT be used for mental health emergencies.

Please note that Care Alert Referrals are processed through the Office of Student Life and not Counseling ServicesMake A Care Alert Referral


Important Policy Changes for Mental Health and Suicide Prevention ...


Monday - Friday
8:30am to 5:00pm 

High Point University
3rd Floor Slane Center
High Point, NC 27268
336-888-6306 (Confidential Fax)